Finding Vector and Parametric Equations for a Segment Joining Two Points

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, Mr. Jameson needs help finding the vector equation for the segment that joins the points p(2,0,0) and q(6,2,-2). Jameson has a computer and laptop at home but he doesn't like bringing his laptop unless he has to because its heavy. He lives on campus or not at home and leaves the laptop and computer at home. He takes his laptop on tuesday and Thursdays because he needs it but otherwise he prefers his tablet. Mr. Jameson thinks that it would be a good idea for him to try to use a laptop or desktop here some more if he can try.
ineedhelpnow
Find vector and parametric equations for the segment that joins the points p(2,0,0) and q(6,2,-2). The examples in my book make no sense and i don't understand cheggs method. I know that r=(1-t)r_0 + t*r_1. I only need help finding the vector equation. Can someone give a step by step explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it

Can you show us your solution anyway so people in the future can reference it? :)

Only cause u ask :)

r0=<2> and r1=<1/2,1/3,1/4>

r=[(1-t)<2>]+[t<1/2,1/3,1/4>]= <2-t>+<6t,2t,-2t>= <2-4t, 2t' -2t>x=2-4t
y=2t
z=-2t

I'm really sorry but I'm doing it on my tablet and its real hard and tiring to do it in latex.

It's ok. Do you have access to a computer usually? Does your school have computer labs? Just curious.

I have a computer and laptop at home but I don't like bringing my laptop unless I have to because its heavy.

Meaning you live on campus or not at home and leave the laptop and computer at home? You really go all day with just a tablet? :)

I live at home. I take my laptop on tuesday and Thursdays because I need it but otherwise I prefer my tablet Mr. Jameson sir :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

How would I take a desktop computer?!? Drag it by its cord?

I ask because we aren't optimized for tablet use and you yourself admit that it's harder to post certain things from your tablet. When I was in college for my second degree this past semester, I didn't take a tablet or laptop with me for class but I went to the computer lab all the time and posted here on MHB. I think it would be a good idea for you to try to use a laptop or desktop here some more if you can try. :)

Both of you, ineedhelpnow and Mr. Jameson, may I so kindly suggest the http://mathhelpboards.com/chat-room-9/new-hope-talk-spam-episode-2-a-3316.html for off-topic conversations. (Giggle)

Jameson, please don't ban me. (Crying)
I'm kidding. (Rofl)

ineedhelpnow said:
How would I take a desktop computer?!? Drag it by its cord?

Well obviously. How else?

Rido12 said:
Both of you, ineedhelpnow and Mr. Jameson, may I so kindly suggest the http://mathhelpboards.com/chat-room-9/new-hope-talk-spam-episode-2-a-3316.html for off-topic conversations. (Giggle)

I'm going to delete this thread in a bit so it's not important.

why is this your favorite thing to use randomly?

We haven't had users here on tablets as their main device and it leads to some noticeable problems and issues. I am trying to figure out a way that we can all follow our guidelines for posting and not lose convenience. :)

Hm, is there no way to use LaTeX on a mobile device or tablet?

If you're referring to why I use spoilers, I have no idea. I think I use it to add comments that don't add to the post, but can be relevant?

Rido12 said:
Hm, is there no way to use LaTeX on a mobile device or tablet?

If you're referring to why I use spoilers, I have no idea. I think I use it to add comments that don't add to the post, but can be relevant?

Not sure what you mean, LaTeX displays fine for me on my mobile. I've never tried posting anything from it, mainly because using a mobile keyboard drives me up the wall, but I don't see why it wouldn't work given LaTeX is just typeset text.

I guess it works for mobile devices then. So I presume that only tablets don't work well with $\LaTeX$ (Wondering)

Rido12 said:
I guess it works for mobile devices then. So I presume that only tablets don't work well with $\LaTeX$ (Wondering)

I use my tablet and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \LaTeX \end{align*}$ works fine...

Oh, haha. I read back and it seemed that $\LaTeX$ works, but it's just cumbersome. Neeevvermind. (Headbang)

@Jameson yeah its ok that you asked. i use the actually website on my tablet and since everything is so small i tend to tap the wrong things when doing latex and it gets confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Jameson said:
I think it would be a good idea for you to try to use a laptop or desktop here some more if you can try. :)

(Crying)

- - - Updated - - -

Bacterius said:
Well obviously. How else?

(Giggle) lol laughed so hard when i read this.

Related to Finding Vector and Parametric Equations for a Segment Joining Two Points

1. What is a parametric vector function?

A parametric vector function is a mathematical representation of a curve or line in three-dimensional space using a set of parameters. These parameters are usually represented by variables such as t or u, and they determine the position of a point on the curve or line. The function maps the parameters to a set of x, y, and z coordinates, creating a vector at each point.

2. How is a parametric vector function different from a regular vector function?

While both types of vector functions involve mapping parameters to coordinates, a regular vector function only involves two-dimensional space. A parametric vector function, on the other hand, is used to represent curves and lines in three-dimensional space. This means that it requires an additional parameter to map the z-coordinate.

3. What are the advantages of using a parametric vector function?

Parametric vector functions allow for a more flexible and accurate representation of curves and lines in three-dimensional space. They also make it easier to calculate derivatives and integrals of these curves, which is useful in many fields of science and engineering. Additionally, parametric vector functions can also be used to represent more complex shapes, such as surfaces and volumes.

4. How do you plot a parametric vector function?

To plot a parametric vector function, you need to first choose a range of values for the parameters. Then, you can plug these values into the function to calculate the corresponding coordinates. These coordinates can then be plotted on a three-dimensional graph, with the x, y, and z axes representing the three dimensions. The resulting points can be connected to create a visual representation of the curve or line.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric vector functions?

Parametric vector functions have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. For example, they are used in physics to represent the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. In computer graphics, parametric vector functions are used to create 3D models and animations. They are also used in robotics, flight simulation, and many other areas where precise and accurate representations of curves and lines in 3D space are needed.