Finding Values of Complex Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting an equation as e(i+1)(log(1-i)-log(√2)) and working on it in sections. The individual sections are e(i+1) and log(1-i). Euler's formula is used to simplify e(i+1) to e1(cos(1)+isin(1)). The result is then combined with log(1-i) to get ln√2 + i(-(π/4)+2kπ). The question asks about bringing the two sections together or using FOIL on the exponent at the beginning.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Find the values of ((1-i)/sqrt(2)) ^ (i+1)
Relevant Equations
((1-i)/sqrt(2)) ^ (i+1)
I took the equation and rewrote it as: e(i+1)(log(1-i)-log(√2)).

So I worked on it in sections meaning e(i+1) and then log(1-i).

For e(i+1) I got eie1 and used Euler's formula for ei to get: e1(cos(1)+isin(1)).

And then for log(1-i) I got ln√2 + i(-(π/4)+2kπ).

Do I just bring them together now? Or would I first FOIL the exponent at the very beginning as in this part "(i+1)(log(1-i)-log(√2))"? Any help would be appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:
Relevant Equations:: ((1-i)/sqrt(2)) ^ (i+1)

I took the equation and rewrote it as: e(i+1)(log(1-i)-log(√2)).

So I worked on it in sections meaning e(i+1) and then log(1-i).
I take it
[tex][e^{-\frac{\pi i}{4}}]^1 [e^{-\frac{\pi i}{4}}]^i[/tex]
Does this work ?

Related to Finding Values of Complex Equation

1. What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that contains at least one complex number, which is a number that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

2. How do you find the values of a complex equation?

To find the values of a complex equation, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, and factoring. You can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the equation on a complex plane, or numerical methods, such as using a calculator or computer program.

3. What is the difference between real and complex solutions?

A real solution is a value that satisfies the equation and is a real number. A complex solution is a value that satisfies the equation and is a complex number. In other words, a complex solution includes an imaginary component, while a real solution does not.

4. Can a complex equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the solutions to a complex equation can be represented as points on a complex plane, and there can be multiple points that satisfy the equation.

5. How are complex equations used in science?

Complex equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model and solve problems involving real-world phenomena that have both real and imaginary components, such as electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.