Finding Unit Vector u for Duf(1,1)=0

In summary, the problem asked for a vector in the xy-plane that has the following properties: it is the directional derivative of f at (1,1), and it lies on the xy-plane perpendicular to the gradient vector at that point. My answer was that u=k, which of course is the unit vector k. The problem said that my answer was wrong, and gave me a detailed argument explaining why.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

Suppose f is a smooth function of x and y, and at the point (1,1), [itex]\partial[/itex]f/[itex]\partial[/itex]x = 1, [itex]\partial[/itex]f/[itex]\partial[/itex]y = -1.

Find the unit vector u such that Duf(1,1) = 0

Homework Equations

Duf(1,1) = [itex]\nabla[/itex]f(1,1) * u = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was merely u= k, which is the unit vector k of course (I don't know how to put the symbol on this. Work it out, I don't see how it is wrong. I will tell you why they said that I was wrong, and I will give my argument after an answer or two.

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x,y) is defined in the (x,y) plane. The problem asked a vector u also in the plane.

ehild

Okay, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would a function of x and y, or f(x,y), only be defined in the x y plane? If you had a function such as f(x,y) = (1/2)x^2 - (1/2)y^2, that wouldn't just be defined in the x,y plane, and the partial derivatives at (1,1) are still 1 and -1 respectively.

Analogously, if you had a function of x, you wouldn't say that you have a function that is only defined in terms of the x axis.

Edit: okay, I made a slight boo-boo in terminology. I do admit that. I meant, as stated below, to say what the graph looked like, which I expressed in a colloquial (and technically wrong) manner.

Last edited:
"Defined in the x-y plane" refers to the domain of the function, not what the graph looks like, which requires three dimensions.

Okay, I understand, but still: why is my answer wrong? The derivative in this direction 0, so how exactly was I supposed to know that my answer had to lie in the xy plane? I know that the gradient vectors would lie in the xy plane, but you can have something that lies in space that is perpendicular to these gradient vectors. What in the problem made this clear?

The problem said "f is a smooth function of x and y, and at the point (1,1)". You can't just arbitrarily add more dimensions. Why not give a fourth or fifth dimension?

I see what you are saying, but I interpreted (1,1) as x = 1, y = 1 for the function (though it says point). If it is a function of two variables, you would have a point (x, y, f(x,y)) not just (x,y), right? Otherwise, it wouldn't be a function of two variables, but a relation.

I hope I'm not going insane... does anyone else see the problem that I am having?

Edit: I am starting to see why I am wrong, but no one has been able to provide me with any insight that I didn't already have/has already been repeated to me for this problem. I didn't arbitrarily add another dimension to the problem; I did it because I took the cross product of the gradient vector and the vector at point (1,1) due to its underlying geometric significance (each respective component is perpendicular to its cross product).

My question boils down to this: If you have a function of two variable f(x,y) , why is the direction ( u )of the directional derivative restricted to the xy plane (2 dimensions) if the function itself can be graphed in 3 dimensions?

Last edited:
The directional derivative is defined as
[tex]D_\vec{u} f(\vec{x}) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(\vec{x}+h\vec{u})-f(\vec{x})}{h}[/tex]In this problem, the domain of f is the xy-plane, so [itex]\vec{x}+h\vec{u}[/itex] has to lie in the xy-plane. That means, in particular, [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] has to also lie in the xy-plane.

Okay, finally! Thank you. I guess that's what I get for abandoning the limit definition of the directional derivative in favor of the dot product.

Related to Finding Unit Vector u for Duf(1,1)=0

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1. It is typically used to represent direction and is often used in vector calculations.

2. How do you find a unit vector?

To find a unit vector, you first need to find the magnitude of the vector. Then divide each component of the vector by the magnitude. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and will be in the same direction as the original vector.

3. What is the significance of finding the unit vector?

Finding the unit vector is important because it allows us to represent direction without being affected by the magnitude of the vector. This is useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering.

4. What is the process for finding the unit vector for a given vector?

To find the unit vector for a given vector, you first need to find the magnitude of the vector. Then divide each component of the vector by the magnitude. The resulting vector will be the unit vector in the same direction as the original vector.

5. How is finding the unit vector used in Duf(1,1)=0?

In this case, finding the unit vector is used to represent the direction of the vector Duf(1,1) without being affected by its magnitude. This allows us to solve for the values of u that satisfy the equation Duf(1,1)=0.