Finding two LI solutions by power series

In summary, the given equation can be expressed as a sum from n=2 to infinity, with the summation starting at x^2. By reindexing the second summation, the terms can be combined and a recursive formula can be found to solve the equation. Two solutions can be obtained by setting different initial values for a_0 and a_1.
Fredh

Homework Statement

y'' - xy' + x²y = 0

Homework Equations

y = Ʃ An*x^n (from 0 to infinity)
y' = Ʃ n*An*x^n-1 (from 1 to infinity)
y'' = Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (from 2 to infinity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (from 2 to infinity) - Ʃ n*An*x^n (from 1 to infinity) + Ʃ An*x^(n+2) (from 0 to infinity) = 0

k = n-2 on the first sum, so Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (2 to ∞) = Ʃ (k+2)(k+1)*Ak+2*x^k (0 to ∞)

Then, changing k back to n and joining the sums I got up to

Ʃ[(n+2)*(n+1)*An+2 - n*An]x^n + An*x^(n+2) = 0 (0 to ∞)

and I can't find out what to do with that x^(n+2), should I make n+2 = k and change the sum limits again or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use k=n+2 on the last sum. Write out the n=0 and n=1 terms separately and the remaining terms in the series as a sum from n=2 to infinity.

I didn't get it, so I should make a sum from 2 on and ignore the smaller terms? I'm really lost here, there are no similar examples in my material (where I have to make the k > n transformation more than once) yet all problems are like this

Well, no, you can't ignore them in the solution, but the summation part will give you the recursion relation you need.

Let me clarify what I meant a bit. You have the following:
$$\sum_{n=0}^\infty \{[(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n]x^n + a_nx^{n+2}\} = 0$$ What I was suggesting was you write it as
$$2a_2 + (6a_3-a_1)x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty [(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n]x^n + \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+2} = 0$$ Both summations now start with the x2 term. Reindex the second one so you can combine them.

Hey Vela, thanks!
I got back to the problem this morning and found the expression you wrote. I'm going to finnish it after lunch and post results.

$$2a_2 + (6a_3-a_1)x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty [(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n + a_{n-2}]x^n = 0$$

Ok, I must be doing something very wrong here, tried setting $$a_0 = 1 , a_1 = 0$$ but I can't really take anything usefull out of it

Isn't $$a_0 = 2a_2 = 1$$ in this case?

And after finding one solution, should I set $$a_0 = 0 , a_1 = 1$$ or use D'alembert? Or would both give me the same answer?

I had Mathematica solve it, and the answer didn't look like it had a simple form.

You should get even and odd solutions, so choosing ##a_0 = 1, a_1 = 0## to get one solution and ##a_0 = 0, a_1 = 1## for the other sounds reasonable.

Hey vela, thanks again, I came back to this problem today and solved it finnally, I was having trouble finding the recurrence formula a_{k+2}=ka_{k}-a_{k-2}/(k+1)(k+2)

Related to Finding two LI solutions by power series

1. What is the purpose of finding two LI solutions by power series?

The purpose of finding two linearly independent (LI) solutions by power series is to solve differential equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It allows for the representation of a solution as an infinite series, which can then be manipulated to find specific values or behaviors of the system being modeled.

2. How is the process of finding two LI solutions by power series different from other methods?

Unlike other methods, such as the substitution method or the elimination method, finding two LI solutions by power series involves expressing the solution as a series of terms rather than a single equation. This allows for more flexibility and precision in solving differential equations, especially those with complex or variable coefficients.

3. What are some applications of finding two LI solutions by power series?

Finding two LI solutions by power series has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and solve differential equations that arise in various systems, such as in mechanics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some challenges or limitations of finding two LI solutions by power series?

One challenge of finding two LI solutions by power series is that the process can be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, not all differential equations can be solved using this method, as some may not have a power series solution or may have a solution that is too complex to be practical.

5. Are there any alternatives to finding two LI solutions by power series?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving differential equations, such as numerical methods like Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. However, these methods may not be as accurate or versatile as finding two LI solutions by power series, and may not be applicable to all types of differential equations.