Finding trigonometric solution to a cubic equation using computer

In summary: Forum ModeratorIn summary, the question asks to use a computer to find the three solutions of the equation ##x^3-3x-1=0##, which can be expressed as ##2cos(\frac{\pi}{9})##, ##-2cos(\frac{2\pi}{9})##, and ##2cos(\frac{4\pi}{9})##. While using a computer, such as Wolfram Alpha, is helpful in finding numerical solutions, it is also important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods, such as the trigonometric factorization method. It is recommended to practice solving similar problems by hand to strengthen understanding and not skip this type of problem.
Seydlitz
Hello,

Homework Statement

I get this question from Mathematical Methods by Boas page 74 problem 25. The question states:

"Use a computer to find the three solutions of the equation ##x^3-3x-1=0##. Find a way to show that the solutions can be written as ##2cos(\frac{\pi}{9})##, ##-2cos(\frac{2\pi}{9})##, ##2cos(\frac{4\pi}{9})##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again I'm still confused on what she means by use a computer?

Can I just use Wolfram Alpha to find the solution in exact form and then show it that it can be expressed to polar form and hence trigonometric function? I checked with WA and it gives me the solution x in rectangular form. I just convert that to trigonometric form and it does get the same answer as the question.

But then on the other hand, the question itself was probably written long before program such as WA existed. Should I just skip this kind of problem next time?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is understandable to be confused about using a computer to solve this problem. In this case, the use of a computer is simply to aid in finding the numerical solutions to the equation. This can be done by using a numerical solver, such as Wolfram Alpha, as you have suggested. However, it is important to also understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods used to solve the equation.

In this case, the solutions to the equation can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions, as you have mentioned. This is because the equation can be rewritten as ##x^3-3x-1=(x-2cos(\frac{\pi}{9}))(x+2cos(\frac{2\pi}{9}))(x-2cos(\frac{4\pi}{9}))##. This is known as the trigonometric factorization method, which can be used to solve cubic equations involving trigonometric functions.

So, while it is useful to use a computer to find the numerical solutions, it is also important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods. I would suggest practicing solving similar problems by hand to strengthen your understanding. And no, you should not skip this type of problem, as it is important to have a solid understanding of different problem-solving methods in mathematics.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Finding trigonometric solution to a cubic equation using computer

1. How can a computer be used to find trigonometric solutions to a cubic equation?

A computer can use numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method, to approximate the solutions to a cubic equation. These methods involve using a computer program to repeatedly guess and refine a solution until it meets a certain level of accuracy.

2. Can any cubic equation be solved using trigonometric functions?

Yes, any cubic equation can be solved using trigonometric functions. This is because the solutions to a cubic equation can be expressed using a combination of trigonometric functions and complex numbers. However, some solutions may be difficult to express in simple terms.

3. How accurate are the solutions found by a computer using trigonometric methods?

The accuracy of the solutions found by a computer depends on the specific method used and the level of precision specified. In general, the more iterations a method goes through, the more accurate the solution will be. However, there may be some rounding errors or limitations in the computer's calculations that can affect the accuracy.

4. Are there any limitations to using a computer to find trigonometric solutions to a cubic equation?

One limitation is that the solutions found by a computer may not always be in the simplest form. Additionally, there may be some cases where the computer is unable to find a solution due to rounding errors or limitations in the method being used. In these cases, it may be necessary to use alternative methods or approaches.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of trigonometry to use a computer to find solutions to cubic equations?

While a basic understanding of trigonometric functions and equations is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong understanding to use a computer to find solutions to cubic equations. The computer program will handle the calculations and iterations, but having a general understanding of the concepts involved can help with interpreting and verifying the solutions.