Finding Total Vector Displacement for a Multi-Directional Trip

In summary, the problem involves a motorist's trip where they first travel south at 20.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turn west and travel at 25.0 m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travel northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. To find the total vector displacement, we can use a Cartesian coordinate system and add the individual displacements together. The total displacement is (4272.292, -2328) meters. The average speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled (9900 meters) by the total time (6.00 min), giving an average speed of 1650 m/min. The average velocity can be found
chris_soft_engineer
The problem is:

A motorist drives south at 20.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. For this 6.00-min trip, find (a) the total vector displacement, (b) the average speed, and (c) the average velocity. Let the positive x-axis point east.

I need help figuring out the total vector displacement. I just want someone to explain how you find it and let me work it please.

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use a cartisen coordinate system to figure out the vectors

you first travel south for 3600 meters, this would be (0 , -3600)

then you travel west for 3000 meters, add this to the first you have (3000 , -3600)

hen you travel 1800 meters at an angle of 45 degrees so you have ( 4272.292 , -2328)

you can do the rest right

That wasn't my question. My question is how do i find the total displacement.
Do i just add all of that together?

yes that should do it

Thanks so much for the help. :smile: :smile:

chris_soft_engineer said:
That wasn't my question. My question is how do i find the total displacement.
Do i just add all of that together?

Adding the components will give you the total displacement vector. Are you sure that is what you want?

Perhaps you were thinking about the magnitude of the vector as well? Do you know how to find this?

Related to Finding Total Vector Displacement for a Multi-Directional Trip

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is a measure of the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is typically represented in units of distance per unit of time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

2. How do I calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, you must divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken to travel that distance. For example, if you traveled 60 miles in 2 hours, your average speed would be 60 miles / 2 hours = 30 miles per hour.

3. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is a measure of the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while average velocity is a measure of the total displacement divided by the total time taken. Displacement refers to the distance traveled in a specific direction, while distance does not specify direction.

4. How does changing speed affect average speed?

Changing speed can affect average speed in different ways, depending on the specific situation. For example, if you are traveling at a constant speed and then increase your speed, your average speed will also increase. However, if you are traveling at varying speeds, changing to a higher or lower speed may not have a significant impact on your average speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating average speed?

Calculating average speed can be useful in many different fields, such as transportation, sports, and science. For example, it can be used to determine the average speed of a car during a road trip, the average speed of a runner during a race, or the average speed of a chemical reaction in a laboratory experiment.