Finding Time to Equilibrium in Vertical Spring Oscillation

In summary, the equation for the position of a 2.0kg pumpkin oscillating on a vertically hanging light spring, assuming it started by being compressed 18cm from equilibrium, is y=0.18mcos(2πt/0.65s). To find the time it takes for the pumpkin to reach the equilibrium position for the first time, the equation cos(2πt/T)=0 can be used by dividing T by 4, as this represents the first quarter of the motion.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

A 2.0kg pumpkin oscillates from a vertically hanging light spring once ever 0.65s. Write down the equation giving the pumpkin's position as a function of time, assuming it started by being compressed 18cm from equilibrium. How long will it take to get to the equilibrium position for the first time?

Homework Equations

y=Acos(2πt/T)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I got was y=0.18mcos(2πt/0.65s), which is correct according to the answer in the back of the book, but I am having trouble finding the time.

What I did to find the time was to consider the object at the beginning of the motion, that is t=0 and y=.18m. So to solve for t, I divided by the 0.18m or A :
y/A=cos(2πt/T)

From here I used the arccos function to get the t variable out of the cosine function and got:
arccos(y/A)=2πt/T

Then I multiplied by T and divide by 2π to get
Tarccos(y/A)/2π=t

But the answer I get from this is not correct, something like 0.33s when it should be something like 0.16s.

Physics news on Phys.org
What part of a full cycle is represented by the trip from release point to equilibrium?

On the graph of the function f(x)=0.18cos(2πx/0.65) it would be between x=0 and x≈0.16, I got that by using google to graph the function and found the first y intersect, which should be the equilibrium point for the motion, but I'm still unclear on how to do it mathematically, I guess I could set the equation equal to zero and solve for it, but I end up getting t=0. I guess it is essentially the first quarter of the motion though.

rmiller70015 said:
On the graph of the function f(x)=0.18cos(2πx/0.65) it would be between x=0 and x≈0.16, I got that by using google to graph the function and found the first y intersect, which should be the equilibrium point for the motion, but I'm still unclear on how to do it mathematically, I guess I could set the equation equal to zero and solve for it, but I end up getting t=0. I guess it is essentially the first quarter of the motion though.

You're probably getting zero for t because you're solving for when the pumpkin is at 18 cm, it's initial position. That's not where the equilibrium position is. What is y at the equilibrium position?

Not that you can solve this problem without using the equation if you will consider what part of a full cycle the trip from release to equilibrium position represents.

Yeah I realized that by replacing 2π with π/2 and you get the correct answer using the cos arccos method.

But aren't I measuring it from the equilibrium position, since 18cm in the equation is the amplitude (A) in the function Acos(2πt/T)=y=0, where y would be the position at equilibrium since (from the original problem, "...assuming it started by being compressed 18cm from equilibrium.")

rmiller70015 said:
Yeah I realized that by replacing 2π with π/2 and you get the correct answer using the cos arccos method.

But aren't I measuring it from the equilibrium position, since 18cm in the equation is the amplitude (A) in the function Acos(2πt/T)=y=0, where y would be the position at equilibrium since (from the original problem, "...assuming it started by being compressed 18cm from equilibrium.")

Sure, the position y is with respect to the equilibrium position. [STRIKE]But I don't see what point you're trying to make.

What is the value of y at the equilibrium position? So what equation do you want to solve to find t?[/STRIKE]

EDIT: I just re-read your reply and realized that you have the correct notion; sorry about that.

Yes, for the equilibrium position you have Acos(2πt/T)=0. Divide though by A and you have cos(2πt/T)=0.
What is the first angle θ for which cos(θ) is zero?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for your help, after realizing what you meant by what portion of the motion is it to equilibrium, I divided 0.65 by 4 and then felt really stupid.

Related to Finding Time to Equilibrium in Vertical Spring Oscillation

1. What is the SMH Vertical Spring problem?

The SMH Vertical Spring problem is a physics problem that involves a mass attached to a spring and oscillating in a vertical direction due to the force of gravity. It is a classic example of simple harmonic motion (SMH) and is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of oscillatory motion.

2. How do you solve the SMH Vertical Spring problem?

The SMH Vertical Spring problem can be solved using the equation for simple harmonic motion: x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ). A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the initial phase angle. The values for these variables can be determined using the given parameters in the problem, such as the mass of the object and the spring constant.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the SMH Vertical Spring problem?

The key concepts involved in the SMH Vertical Spring problem include simple harmonic motion, Hooke's Law (which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium), spring constants, and the effects of gravity on oscillatory motion.

4. How does the SMH Vertical Spring problem relate to real-world applications?

The SMH Vertical Spring problem has many real-world applications, such as in the study of earthquakes, pendulum clocks, and musical instruments. It can also be used to model the motion of objects attached to springs, such as car suspensions and bungee jumping.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the SMH Vertical Spring problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the SMH Vertical Spring problem include not correctly identifying the key variables in the equation for simple harmonic motion, not considering the effects of gravity on the oscillatory motion, and not properly converting units of measurement. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.