Finding Time and Velocity for a Package Dropped from a Hot Air Balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hot air balloon dropping a package at a certain height and finding the time it takes to reach the ground and the velocity at which the package hits the ground. The solution involves using kinematics equations and quadratic formula to solve for time and velocity, with a final check using another kinematics equation. The conversation also includes a brief discussion about using g = -10m/s^2 and choosing the appropriate answer when taking the square root.
brusier

Homework Statement

A hot air balloon ascending at a rate of 10m/s drops a package when the balloon reaches a height of 73 m. Find time to ground. Find velocity when package hits ground.

The balloon and package, in this case, can be treated as a point particles and as such can be manipluated with general kinematics equations.

I apologize for my inability to display mathematical symbols when creating equations...

Homework Equations

X = X(initial) + V(initial)t + 1/2at^2

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply used the quadratic formula with the first equation to solve for t because the equation is already in terms of t. This produced:

-10(+-)sq.rt(100+1460) / -10

where:
X=0
X(initial)=73
V(initial)= 10m/s
a= -10m/s

I chose the negative value of b^2 - 4ac to produce:

t = -49.49/-10 = 4.949s

Secondly, I used this time in the V(final) = V(initial) + at equation:

V(final) = 10 + (-10*4.949) = -39.49m/s

Am I thinking about this scenario correctly enough so that I am using the appropriate equations?? The answers, I am told, are incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with your method or answers. Why do you think they are incorrect? (Are you allowed to use g = 10, instead of 9.8 m/s^2?)

brusier said:

Homework Equations

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + at

sorry if I'm being stupid, but i think this equation is wrong.
shouldn't it ought to be
V(final) = V(initial) + at?

I get the same t and V(final), so yeah. it doesn't matter.

earlofwessex said:
sorry if I'm being stupid, but i think this equation is wrong.
shouldn't it ought to be
V(final) = V(initial) + at?
You're correct: The original post did list an incorrect equation. But the correct version was used to solve the problem.

I am extremely sorry for the error!

In laboriously typing the equation out I inadvertently mixed the

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ax equation with the V(final) = V(initial) +at equation.

very sorry! I see that I also got my units wrong for a or, in this case, g! ouch.

thanks for the help.

I'm sure I am able to use constant g = -10m/s^2.

The homework is posted online through a webassign account and since it is my first experience using it, I hope my unfamiliarity is causing the confusion, not my inaccurate computations! lol

brusier said:
I am extremely sorry for the error!

In laboriously typing the equation out I inadvertently mixed the

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ax equation
Since you are familiar with this kinematic equation, why not use it to check your answer for the final speed without using the time.

Doc Al said:
Since you are familiar with this kinematic equation, why not use it to check your answer for the final speed without using the time.

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ax:

Vf^2 = 10^2 + (2)(-10)(-73)

Vf^2 = 100 + 1460

Vf^2 = 1560

Vf = 39.49 m/s

should this vector quantity be made negative to indicate downward motion?

brusier said:
should this vector quantity be made negative to indicate downward motion?
Yes. Or you can just specify the direction as downward.

Whenever you take a square root you get two answers: one +, one -. It's up to you to choose the one that fits the situation. In this case, you know it's moving downward, thus you'd choose the negative answer (using the usual sign convention).

Related to Finding Time and Velocity for a Package Dropped from a Hot Air Balloon

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How is constant acceleration different from uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed, while constant acceleration is when the object's speed changes by the same amount over time.

3. What is the equation for calculating constant acceleration?

The equation for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Can an object have both constant acceleration and constant velocity?

No, an object cannot have both constant acceleration and constant velocity at the same time. Constant acceleration implies a changing velocity, while constant velocity means the object's speed remains the same.

5. How does air resistance affect constant acceleration?

Air resistance can decrease the acceleration of an object, as it creates an opposing force that acts against the object's motion. This results in a slower change in velocity and thus a smaller constant acceleration.