Finding the Volume of the Intersection of Two Cylinders

In summary, the volume of the intersection of the two solid cylinders can be found using cartesian coordinates and the integral: \int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} \int_{-x} ^x 1 dzdxdy, which simplifies to 16/3 when integrated in the order of dydzdx. Changing the order of integration can greatly simplify the calculation.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the intersection of the two solid cylinders x2 + y2 ≤ 1 and y2 + z2 ≤ 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently this is done most easily by cartesian coordinates. I have the integral:

[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-x^2)} ^{sqrt(1-x^2)} \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} 1 dzdydx[/tex]But, this is disgusting to integrate (as far as I can tell). I think I either a) have the wrong bounds, or b) have missed a clue to make this problem easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
Changing the order of integration would help a lot. Try integrating dy last instead of dx. Order of integration can make a BIG difference.

Last edited:
So let's see if I can do this:

[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} \int_{-x} ^x 1 dzdxdy [/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} 2x dxdy[/tex]This gives an integrand of zero for the last integral. Hmm, did I use incorrect bounds?

TranscendArcu said:
So let's see if I can do this:

[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} \int_{-x} ^x 1 dzdxdy [/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1} ^1 \int_{-sqrt(1-y^2)} ^{sqrt(1-y^2)} 2x dxdy[/tex]This gives an integrand of zero for the last integral. Hmm, did I use incorrect bounds?

Umm, yes, you used the wrong bounds. Shouldn't the z bounds be determined by y^2+z^2<=1?? Why would you think they should be -x to x?

Last edited:
I have two possible problems with those bounds: first, and without doing any actual calculations, those bounds don't make the integral look very much nicer than what I had in #1; second, I would be concerned that we "lose" information about x by not including it somewhere in the bounds (that is, I see we have z's relationship to y and x's relationship to y, but not x's relationship to z). I used -x≤z≤x because that's what I got by setting,

x^2 +y^2 = y^2 + z^2, which suggests,

z = +/- x.

TranscendArcu said:
I have two possible problems with those bounds: first, and without doing any actual calculations, those bounds don't make the integral look very much nicer than what I had in #1; second, I would be concerned that we "lose" information about x by not including it somewhere in the bounds (that is, I see we have z's relationship to y and x's relationship to y, but not x's relationship to z). I used -x≤z≤x because that's what I got by setting,

x^2 +y^2 = y^2 + z^2, which suggests,

z = +/- x.

I have some problems with that. How does x^2+y^2<=1 and y^2+z^2<=1 imply that x^2+y^2=y^2+z^2?? I suggested integrating dy last exactly because then the x bounds depend only on y and the z bounds depend only on y. Why do think there is some other dependency?

Last edited:
Okay. I think I understand this now. I did the calculation out and got 16/3, which I have marked as the right answer. I guess doing the integration in that order was easier.

TranscendArcu said:
Okay. I think I understand this now. I did the calculation out and got 16/3, which I have marked as the right answer. I guess doing the integration in that order was easier.

A LOT easier. And yes, it is 16/3.

Related to Finding the Volume of the Intersection of Two Cylinders

What is the volume of the intersection of two cylinders?

The volume of the intersection of two cylinders can be calculated by finding the volume of each cylinder separately and then subtracting the volume of the overlapping portion.

How do you find the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base (πr²) by the height of the cylinder. The formula is V=πr²h.

Can the intersection of two cylinders have a negative volume?

No, the volume of the intersection of two cylinders cannot be negative because it represents the amount of space occupied by the overlapping portion of the cylinders.

Can the intersection of two cylinders have a volume of zero?

Yes, the intersection of two cylinders can have a volume of zero if they are identical and perfectly aligned, so there is no overlapping portion.

Are there any special cases when finding the volume of the intersection of two cylinders?

Yes, there are two special cases: when the cylinders are tangent to each other, the volume of the intersection is zero; and when the height of one cylinder is equal to or greater than the sum of the heights of both cylinders, the volume of the intersection is equal to the volume of the smaller cylinder.