Finding the volume of a sphere with a double integral

In summary, the equation for the volume of a sphere with its center at the origin is 8∫01∫0√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dxdy. However, when trying to solve for this volume, it is impossible to get an answer without first doing a trig substitution.
Sleepycoaster

Homework Statement

I know how to find the volume of a sphere just by adding the areas of circles, so I decided to do a double integral to find the same volume, just for fun.

Here's what I've set up. I put 8 out front and designed the integrals to find an eighth of a sphere that has its center at the origin. This piece of the sphere is what you would get if you cut a sphere in half three times, one from each of the three dimensions.

8∫010√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dxdy

√(1-x2-y2) is the equation I used to measure the z-dimension of a point on the sphere given values for x and y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the integral I got for the inner integration, the one with respect to x:

0√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dx

=[-2x/(2√(1-x2-y2))] with 0 on the bottom and √(1-y2) on the top.

As you can see, if I plug in √(1-y2) for x, the values cancel out so that there is only a zero in the denominator.

Is this simply a limitation in using multiple integration, or did I do something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And yes, everything in this proof refers to a sphere with radius 1.

Sleepycoaster said:

Homework Statement

I know how to find the volume of a sphere just by adding the areas of circles, so I decided to do a double integral to find the same volume, just for fun.

Here's what I've set up. I put 8 out front and designed the integrals to find an eighth of a sphere that has its center at the origin. This piece of the sphere is what you would get if you cut a sphere in half three times, from each of the three dimensions.

8∫010√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dxdy

√(1-x2-y2) is the equation I used to measure the z-dimension of a point on the sphere given values for x and y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the integral I got for the inner integration, the one with respect to x:

0√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dx

=[-2x/(2√(1-x2-y2))] with 0 on the bottom and √(1-y2) on the top.

That antiderivative doesn't look correct. Try changing your dxdy integral to polar coordinates. It will be much easier. Otherwise you will need to do a trig substitution.

Likes 1 person
Oh hey, I see where I went wrong. I took the derivative when I should have taken the integral. Thank you!

Related to Finding the volume of a sphere with a double integral

Question 1: What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object, such as a sphere.

Question 2: How do you find the volume of a sphere using a double integral?

To find the volume of a sphere using a double integral, you first need to set up the integral using the formula V = ∫∫R(x,y)dxdy, where R is the region that encloses the sphere. Then, you can use the formula for the volume of a sphere, V = (4/3)πr^3, to solve the integral and find the volume.

Question 3: What is the region R for a sphere in a double integral?

The region R for a sphere in a double integral is a circle in the xy-plane with a radius equal to the radius of the sphere. This circle is centered at the origin and extends from -r to r in both the x and y directions.

Question 4: Can a double integral be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional object?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional object as long as the region R can be defined and the integral can be evaluated.

Question 5: Are there any other methods for finding the volume of a sphere besides using a double integral?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the volume of a sphere, such as using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3 or using the shell method. However, using a double integral is a more general method that can be applied to finding the volume of other three-dimensional objects as well.