Finding the voltage across capacitor (RLC circuit)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a book that involves nodal analysis and a circuit with a current source and resistors. The speaker is unsure how to solve for v(cap) and believes there are too many unknowns in their attempted solution. They also mention a mistake in their last equation with differing units. The expert summarizer notes that the speaker is asked to multiply the current source by the total effective resistance to find the voltage.
dwn

Homework Statement

This is just an example from the book.
See images.

I am not sure how they found v(cap) to be equal to 97.3 V.

Homework Equations

Nodal Analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

3 A - i(ind)/48 - i(res)/100 = v(cap)

Too many unknowns, that's why I think I'm way off base.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 12.42.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 12.42.08 PM.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 525
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 12.41.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 12.41.40 PM.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
dwn said:

Homework Statement

This is just an example from the book.
See images.

I am not sure how they found v(cap) to be equal to 97.3 V.

Homework Equations

Nodal Analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

3 A - i(ind)/48 - i(res)/100 = v(cap)

Too many unknowns, that's why I think I'm way off base.

Your last equation has differing units in each term: amps, amps/ohms and volts. Not good.

Multiply the current source by the total effective resistance the source sees, what voltage do you get?

Related to Finding the voltage across capacitor (RLC circuit)

1. How do you calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit, you can use the formula Vc = Q/C, where Vc is the voltage, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance. You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law to calculate the voltage by summing the voltage drops across each component in the circuit.

2. What factors affect the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the frequency of the applied voltage, and the values of the resistance and inductance in the circuit. The voltage may also be affected by external factors such as temperature or humidity.

3. What happens to the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit when the frequency of the applied voltage changes?

As the frequency of the applied voltage changes, the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit also changes. At low frequencies, the voltage across the capacitor is high because the capacitor acts like an open circuit. As the frequency increases, the voltage decreases because the capacitor starts to behave more like a short circuit.

4. How does the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit change over time?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit changes over time as the capacitor charges and discharges. Initially, when the voltage is first applied, the capacitor has no charge and the voltage across it is equal to the applied voltage. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it decreases until it reaches a steady state. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor discharges and the voltage across it decreases again until it reaches 0.

5. How is the voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit affected by the values of the resistance and inductance?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RLC circuit is affected by the values of the resistance and inductance in the circuit. A higher resistance will result in a lower voltage across the capacitor, while a higher inductance will result in a higher voltage across the capacitor. This is because the resistance and inductance affect the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges, which in turn affects the voltage across it.