Finding the total area between the curve and x axis

In summary: Net area is the area above the x-axis, subtracting the area below the x-axis. The total area is the area above the x-axis, adding the area below the x-axis. In essence, the net area of f(x) from a to b is\int_a^b f(x) dxWhile the total area of f(x) from a to b is\int_a^b |f(x)| dxHopefully that'll help.
jtt

Homework Statement

find the total area of the region between the curve and the x- axis

Homework Equations

1) y=2-x, 0≤x≤3
2)y=3x^2-3,-2≤x≤2
3)y=x^3-3x^2+2x, 0≤x≤2
4)y= x^3-4x, -2≤x≤2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using my graphic calculator to see what the graphs looked like then i copied some of the points off of the table of x and y values so i could hand draw what i saw on the calculator. I'm completely stumped because i don't know if finding the total area for question 1 will be the same for the rest of the problems because it is a straight line not a curve. i am also getting net area confused with total area and don't know the difference between the 2. what about using the Riemann sums or trapezoidal rule? would i have to use it in order to solve these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Net area is the area above the x-axis, subtracting the area below the x-axis. The total area is the area above the x-axis, adding the area below the x-axis. In essence, the net area of f(x) from a to b is

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

While the total area of f(x) from a to b is

[tex]\int_a^b |f(x)| dx[/tex]

Hopefully that'll help.

jtt said:

Homework Statement

find the total area of the region between the curve and the x- axis

Homework Equations

1) y=2-x, 0≤x≤3
This is two right triangles. One with height 2 and base 2, the other with height 1 and base 1.

2)y=3x^2-3,-2≤x≤2
3x^2- 3= 0 is the same as 3x^2= 3. Can you solve that?

3)y=x^3-3x^2+2x, 0≤x≤2
y= x(x^2- 3x+ 2)= 0 has x= 0 as one root and x^2- 3x+ 2= 0 is easily solvable.

4)y= x^3-4x, -2≤x≤2
y= x(x^2- 4)= 0 has x-= 90 as one root and x^2- 4-= 0 is easily solvable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using my graphic calculator to see what the graphs looked like then i copied some of the points off of the table of x and y values so i could hand draw what i saw on the calculator. I'm completely stumped because i don't know if finding the total area for question 1 will be the same for the rest of the problems because it is a straight line not a curve. i am also getting net area confused with total area and don't know the difference between the 2. what about using the Riemann sums or trapezoidal rule? would i have to use it in order to solve these problems?

Related to Finding the total area between the curve and x axis

1. What is the formula for finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis?

The formula for finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function or curve and dx represents the infinitesimal width of each rectangle used to approximate the area.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis?

The limits of integration for finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis are determined by the x-values where the curve intersects the x-axis. These points are typically found by setting the function or curve equal to zero and solving for x.

3. What is the difference between finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis and finding the area under a curve?

Finding the total area between a curve and the x-axis involves finding the area of the region bounded by the curve and the x-axis. This includes both positive and negative areas. On the other hand, finding the area under a curve involves only finding the positive area bounded by the curve and the x-axis.

4. How do you use the trapezoidal rule to approximate the total area between a curve and the x-axis?

The trapezoidal rule involves dividing the region into a series of trapezoids and then finding the area of each trapezoid. The total area is then approximated by summing the areas of all the trapezoids. This method is often used when the function or curve is not easily integrable.

5. Can calculus be used to find the total area between a curve and the x-axis if the function is not continuous?

Yes, calculus can still be used to find the total area between a curve and the x-axis even if the function is not continuous. This is because calculus allows us to work with discontinuous functions by using techniques such as integration by parts or the Riemann sum.