Finding the terminal voltage across 16V and 8V batteries?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the terminal voltage across a 16-V and 8-V battery in a circuit using the equation V=IR. The person asking the question has calculated the total current to be 5-A but is unsure of how to proceed. They also mention incorrectly using the voltage of the battery and subtracting the voltage produced by internal resistance and other resistors. Additional guidance is requested and a circuit diagram is requested for better understanding.
fishy

Homework Statement

Find the terminal voltage across the 16-V battery and 8-V battery.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the total current of the circuit to be 5-A, but after that I'm stuck. What I did (and it was wrong) was simply use the voltage of the battery and subtracted the voltage produced by internal resistance as well as the other resistors.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fishy, Welcome to Physics Forums.

fishy said:

Homework Statement

Find the terminal voltage across the 16-V battery and 8-V battery.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the total current of the circuit to be 5-A, but after that I'm stuck. What I did (and it was wrong) was simply use the voltage of the battery and subtracted the voltage produced by internal resistance as well as the other resistors.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Can you provide a circuit diagram? It's hard to judge your logic and conclusions without seeing the actual problem.

Related to Finding the terminal voltage across 16V and 8V batteries?

1. How do I calculate the terminal voltage of a 16V and 8V battery?

The terminal voltage of a battery can be calculated by adding the voltage of each individual battery in series. In this case, the terminal voltage of a 16V and 8V battery would be 24V (16V + 8V).

2. Can I connect a 16V and 8V battery in series or parallel?

Yes, you can connect them in series to increase the terminal voltage or in parallel to increase the overall capacity of the battery bank. It is important to note that the batteries should have similar voltage and capacity ratings for optimal performance.

3. What is the difference between terminal voltage and nominal voltage?

Terminal voltage is the actual voltage that a battery produces when in use, while nominal voltage is the voltage that the battery is labeled with. This difference occurs due to internal resistance and other factors that affect the performance of the battery.

4. How does the load affect the terminal voltage of a battery?

The terminal voltage of a battery will decrease when a load is connected due to the internal resistance of the battery. The amount of decrease depends on the type and size of the load, as well as the capacity and condition of the battery.

5. Why is it important to measure the terminal voltage of a battery?

Measuring the terminal voltage of a battery is important to ensure that the battery is performing as expected and to monitor its health. A significant decrease in terminal voltage could indicate a problem with the battery, and regular voltage readings can help determine when a battery needs to be replaced.