What is the voltage across battery terminals?

In summary, we are given a circuit with three resistors and a real battery with an open circuit voltage of 4.5 Volts. The voltage across the 5 Ohm resistor is 2.5 Volts. The questions are asking for the voltage across the battery terminals and the internal resistance of the battery. Using the Junction Law, we can find the currents I_1 and I_2, but it is unclear how to use this information to answer the questions without additional calculations and information.
neilson18

Homework Statement

[/B]
Three resistors are connected to a real battery. The open circuit voltage of the battery is 4.5 Volts. The voltage across the 5 Ohm resistor is 2.5 Volts.

A) What is the voltage across battery terminals?
B) What is the internal resistance of the battery?

Here's a picture of the circuit: http://imgur.com/7IdSn3I
upload_2016-3-14_21-18-11.png

Homework Equations

Junction Law: Sum of Current in = Sum of Current out

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand how a real battery has an internal voltage and resistance, but I don't know how the information here relates to that. I tried using the Junction Law to find different Currents I_1 and I_2 but even after getting those I didn't know how to relate that to the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what calculations you've done and which currents you've found (they were not marked on your figure)?

Related to What is the voltage across battery terminals?

What is the meaning of voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is the force that drives electric current through a circuit.

How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter. It is connected across the two points in a circuit and measures the electric potential difference between them in units of volts (V).

What is the unit of voltage?

The unit of voltage is the volt (V). One volt is equal to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge. Other common units of voltage include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage is the potential difference that drives current, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amperes (A).

How does voltage affect battery life?

The voltage across a battery's terminals is a measure of its stored energy. As the battery is used, its voltage decreases until it reaches a point where it can no longer provide enough energy to power a device. In this way, voltage can be used as an indicator of a battery's remaining life.