Finding the Tangent Line for f'(x): Solving for General Form

In summary: The general form of an equation gives a way to represent a set of equations with similar properties. In this case, the general form of the tangent line equation allows us to represent all possible equations of tangent lines to a curve. In summary, to find the equation of a tangent line at a point on a curve, you need to find the slope of the tangent at that point, and then use it to transform the equation into the general form ax + by + c = 0. The general form allows us to represent all possible equations of tangent lines to a curve.
Chocolaty
Okay so i have f(x)
I want to find f'(x) it's derivative
F'(x) is the slope

So let's say they ask for the tangent line to the point on the graph where x=2.
I replace x by 2 in my derived equation and isolate Y. Let's say i found that Y=5
Now I need to find the equation of the Tangent line. So I replace the coordonates in this equasion: (y-y1)=m(x-x1)
I isolate Y and I have my Tangent line.

Here's what I don't remember... when they ask me for the general form of the equasion, how do I find that? and also, what's the point of the general form?

Physics news on Phys.org
ohh please, someone has to know this!

chocolaty, i can't figure out what you are trying to ask here.

If you have a differentiable function [itex] y=f(x) [/itex] then the slope of the tangent at a point [itex] (x_0,f(x_0)) [/itex] is [itex] f'(x_0) [/itex] (ie, [itex] f'(x) [/itex] evaluated at [itex]x_0[/itex]).

So, if you want to find the equation of the tangent line at a general point [itex] (x_0,f(x_0)) [/itex] on a curve [itex] y=f(x) [/itex], you know the slope of the tangent is [itex] f'(x_0) [/itex] and that the line passes through [itex](x_0,f(x_0))[/itex]. From that you can get the general equation of the tangent.

Did that help?

Last edited:
Maybe i wasn't clear. What I'm actually asking is how do you transform the equation of the tangent line, once you have it, to the general form: ax+by+c=0
And, what's the point?

Ok, I think I see what you are trying to ask.

You will get the equation of the tangent line as
[tex] y-f(x_0) = f'(x_0)[x - x_0] [/tex]

So, just expand this and collect the coefficients of x and y together. Then the equation will be of the form ax + by + c = 0

Related to Finding the Tangent Line for f'(x): Solving for General Form

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at a single point without crossing through it. It represents the slope of the curve at that specific point.

2. How do you find the tangent line for a given function?

To find the tangent line for a given function, you need to first take the derivative of the function to find its slope at a specific point. Then, using the point-slope formula, you can plug in the point of interest and the slope to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the general form of a tangent line?

The general form of a tangent line is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

4. Can you explain the process of finding the tangent line for a specific point?

To find the tangent line for a specific point, you first need to take the derivative of the function to find its slope at that point. Then, plug in the coordinates of the point and the slope into the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

5. How can finding the tangent line be useful in real-world applications?

Finding the tangent line can be useful in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it can be used to determine the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.