Finding the tangent line at pi/3 for the following equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus practice question and the process of finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point. The correct answer is given as 2√3/15, but the individual is having difficulty getting that answer. Through the conversation, it is determined that the error is in the methodology and using a u substitution can lead to the correct solution.
Hummingbird 45
Hello All,

I have been trying to brush up on some calculus (differential, I haven't learned integral yet) on my own by finding whatever calculus problems I can find. Recently I found this question listed as a CLEP practice question, and have been having some difficulty with it. Here is the question:

Homework Statement

"What is the slope of the line tangent to the graph of the function [itex]f(x)=\ln (\sin^2 x+3)[/itex] at the point where [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]?"

The correct answer is given as [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{3}}{15}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The relevant equation is given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

No matter how many times I calculate it out, I keep getting [itex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45\sqrt{3}}{8\pi}[/itex]. Here is the work I have done. The error could be anywhere; in the algebra, trig, or calc methodology (math has never been my strongest subject.)

[tex]f(x)=\ln ((\sin x)^2+3)[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{x} ((\sin x)^2+3)\cdot 2\sin x\cdot \cos x[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{((\sin x)^2+3)}{x} \cdot 2\sin x\cdot \cos x[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{((\sin \frac{\pi}{3})^2+3)}{\frac{\pi}{3}} \cdot 2\sin \frac{\pi}{3}\cdot \cos \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{((\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})^2+3)}{\frac{\pi}{3}} \cdot 2\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=(\frac{3}{4}+3) \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=(\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}) \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{15}{4} \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{15}{4} \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45}{4\pi} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45\sqrt{3}}{8\pi}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{x} ((\sin x)^2+3)\cdot 2\sin x\cdot \cos x[/tex]

Check how you're calculating that step; perhaps you would do better to use a u sub here.

u = (sin(x))^2 + 3)

Student100 said:
Check how you're calculating that step; perhaps you would do better to use a u sub here.

u = (sin(x))^2 + 3)

Aha! Thank you. So from there, I get:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac {1}{\sin^2x+3} \cdot 2 \sin x \cdot \cos x[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac{4}{15}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2\sqrt3}{15}[/tex]

Hummingbird 45 said:
Aha! Thank you. So from there, I get:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac {1}{\sin^2x+3} \cdot 2 \sin x \cdot \cos x[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac{4}{15}[/tex]
[tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2\sqrt3}{15}[/tex]

You can save yourself some writing by not starting each equation with f'(∏/3). As you simplify each expression, just connect the new expression with =.
$$f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}} = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}$$
$$ = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}$$
and so on.

Mark44 said:
You can save yourself some writing by not starting each equation with f'(∏/3). As you simplify each expression, just connect the new expression with =.
$$f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}} = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}$$
$$ = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}$$
and so on.

Ok, I'll remember that.

Related to Finding the tangent line at pi/3 for the following equation

1. What is the equation for finding the tangent line at pi/3?

The equation for finding the tangent line at pi/3 is y = f'(pi/3)(x-pi/3) + f(pi/3), where f'(pi/3) is the derivative of the function at pi/3 and f(pi/3) is the value of the function at pi/3.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. Depending on the complexity of the function, you may need to use multiple rules in succession to find the derivative.

3. What is the value of f(pi/3) for the given equation?

The value of f(pi/3) for the given equation can be found by plugging in pi/3 for x in the original function. This will give you the y-coordinate of the point on the graph at x = pi/3.

4. Can the tangent line at pi/3 be horizontal?

Yes, the tangent line at pi/3 can be horizontal if the function has a horizontal tangent at that point. This means that the derivative of the function at pi/3 is equal to 0.

5. How does finding the tangent line at pi/3 help in understanding the behavior of the function?

Finding the tangent line at pi/3 can help in understanding the behavior of the function by showing the slope of the function at that point. If the slope is positive, the function is increasing, if the slope is negative, the function is decreasing, and if the slope is 0, the function is either at a maximum or minimum point.