Finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood

In summary, the problem is to find the supremum of the set of values for epsilon such that X0 = (1,2,-1,3) is contained in the open 4-ball of radius 7 about (0,3,-2,2). This involves finding the maximum size of the smaller ball around X0 that can fit inside the larger ball. A sketch in 2D can help visualize the problem, and the answer is given as 5.
bobbarker

Homework Statement

Find sup{[tex]\epsilon[/tex]| N[tex]\epsilon[/tex](X0 [tex]\subset[/tex] S} for
X0 = (1,2,-1,3); S = open 4-ball of radius 7 about (0,3,-2,2).

Homework Equations

If X1 is in Sr(X0) and
|X - X1| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = r - |X - X0|
then X is in Sr(X0)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first foray into n-dimensional analysis and I'm pretty intimidated. :bugeye: I understand the theory behind it I think--we're making a little n-dimensional ball around the point X0, and in fact trying to maximize the size of the ball while still remaining in the bigger ball our set is defined by.

I'm confused about the actual determination of the size of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] though. What do I use for this arbitrary point X in the equation?

This is a multi-part problem and I could do the ones in dimensions I could visualize. :P Can anyone help me out with this 4D stuff? Thanks.

Edit: the answer in the back of the book says the supremum is 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a ball of radius 7 around the point (0, 3, -2, 2).

How big a ball can you have around (1, 2, -1, 3) so that it fits inside the ball of radius 7?

A sketch of the situation in 2D will be helpful, even despite the fact that you're dealing with a four-dimension space.

Related to Finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood

What is the definition of a supremum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in the set. In other words, it is the upper bound of a set.

What is a 4D epsilon neighborhood?

A 4D epsilon neighborhood is a region in four-dimensional space that is defined by a specific distance, or epsilon, from a given point. It includes all points within that distance from the given point, including points in all four dimensions.

Why is finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood important?

Finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood is important in many scientific fields, as it allows for the determination of upper bounds and limits in complex four-dimensional systems. It can also provide insight into the behavior and structure of these systems.

What are the applications of finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood?

The applications of finding the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood are vast and diverse. It is used in fields such as physics, mathematics, economics, and computer science to analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. It is also used in optimization problems and in the development of algorithms.

What methods are used to find the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood?

There are various mathematical methods that can be used to find the supremum of a 4D epsilon neighborhood, depending on the specific problem at hand. These methods may include numerical techniques, such as gradient descent or convex optimization, or analytical solutions, such as using derivatives and integration. The most appropriate method will depend on the complexity and constraints of the problem.