Finding the Sum of an Infinite Series

In summary, the problem is to find the expectation value of the Energy using the old fashioned way from example 2.2. The relevant equation is given and the attempt at a solution is described, including the use of a symbolic math program to evaluate only the odd terms of the summation. A suggestion is made to change the index to ##n = 2k+1## and this is confirmed to be a successful solution.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Find the expectation value of the Energy the Old Fashioned way from example 2.2.

Homework Equations

##\left< E \right> =\frac { 480\hbar ^{ 2 } }{ \pi ^{ 4 }ma^{ 2 } } \sum _{ odds }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { n }^{ 4 } } } ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Never mind the details of the physics problem. I am confident of those bits since it is from an example.

Using a symbolic math program, how to I only evaluate odds of a summation? I use sage and Wolfram Alpha normally. I tried using sin(pi*n/2)^2 to eliminate the even terms, but neither program seemed to take well to that.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:

Homework Statement

Find the expectation value of the Energy the Old Fashioned way from example 2.2.

Homework Equations

##\left< E \right> =\frac { 480\hbar ^{ 2 } }{ \pi ^{ 4 }ma^{ 2 } } \sum _{ odds }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { n }^{ 4 } } } ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Never mind the details of the physics problem. I am confident of those bits since it is from an example.

Using a symbolic math program, how to I only evaluate odds of a summation? I use sage and Wolfram Alpha normally. I tried using sin(pi*n/2)^2 to eliminate the even terms, but neither program seemed to take well to that.

Thanks,
Chris

If I'm reading correctly you only want the sum of the odd terms. So make a change of index. Suppose that ##n = 2k+1##. Then:

##\left< E \right> =\frac { 480\hbar ^{ 2 } }{ \pi ^{ 4 }ma^{ 2 } } \sum _{ k=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { (2k+1) }^{ 4 } } } ##

Likes 1 person
That might work. Let me give that a shot.

Chris

Perfect, thank you.

Chris

Related to Finding the Sum of an Infinite Series

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that contains an infinite number of terms. Each term in the series is added together to find the sum of the series.

2. How can you determine the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be determined by using specific mathematical formulas or techniques, such as the limit of partial sums or the ratio test.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series is one where the sum of the terms does not approach a finite value and instead either tends to infinity or oscillates.

4. Can all infinite series be summed?

No, not all infinite series can be summed. Some series, such as the harmonic series, diverge and do not have a finite sum. It is important to use mathematical techniques to determine if a series is convergent or divergent before attempting to find its sum.

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have many applications in science, engineering, and finance. For example, they are used in calculus to approximate functions, in physics to model natural phenomena, and in economics to analyze financial data. They are also used in computer algorithms for data compression and error correction.