Finding the Sum of a particular Power Series

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to obtain the sum of the series \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} and expressing it in terms of geometric series. It is suggested to use the formula \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n x^{n-1} = \frac{1}{\left( x - 1 \right) ^2} in order to solve the problem. Finally, it is stated that the solution is \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n^2 x^n = x \frac {d}{dx} x \frac {dS}{dx}.
DivGradCurl
I need to obtain the sum of the following series

[tex] \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} [/tex]

Well, with the aid of Mathematica, I get the answer, which is 6. What I'm trying to do now is work my way backwards from there. I need to express it through the geometric series

[tex] \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex]

In fact, my guess is that I should use

[tex] \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n x^{n-1} = \frac{1}{\left( x - 1 \right) ^2} [/tex]

but it can't get it to fit in.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If

[tex]S = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n[/tex]

then

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n^2 x^n = x \frac {d}{dx} x \frac {dS}{dx}[/tex]

Thank you so much. This definitely works out!

Related to Finding the Sum of a particular Power Series

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a constant times a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How do you find the sum of a power series?

To find the sum of a power series, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series, which is given by S = a/(1-r) where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. However, this formula only works for certain power series with specific values of x. For other power series, you may need to use other methods, such as integration or differentiation.

3. What are some common examples of power series?

Some common examples of power series include the geometric series 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ..., the binomial series (1+x)n = 1 + nx + n(n-1)x2/2! + n(n-1)(n-2)x3/3! +..., and the exponential series ex = 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3! + ....

4. Can a power series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a power series can have an infinite number of terms. In fact, most power series do have an infinite number of terms, as this is what allows them to represent functions with infinite precision.

5. What are some applications of power series?

Power series have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and perform numerical calculations. They also have applications in areas such as signal processing, control theory, and finance.