Finding the speed of a relativistic particle

In summary: Energy%E2%80%93momentum_relation or on other sites actually for a good range classical forms also works approx.but the form used by general people is thesquare of energy related to p^2c^2 and square of rest mass energy ;as it is applicable to photons as well -particles with zero rest mass.regarding accuracy of calculation -it depends on the no. of significant figures one needs in the range of values.I wonder what is the problem in calculating electrons speed
alba

Homework Statement

This is not homework. I am trying to figure out a simple and quick way to find the speed that correspond to a given energy can you tell me if it is correct?
At LHC they had experiments that give protons 7 Tera eV:
we know that a proton is .938272 Gev , so 7*10^12/.938*10^9 = 7460 is the increase of masses.

Now if we reverse the formula for mass

Homework Equations

7460+1 = 1 / √1 -x^2

we get
(1-x^2) 7461^2 = 1
x2 = 74612/ 7461^2+1 x = 0.999999991

The result matches LHC info, is there any mistake?

If this is correct why isn't the reverse accepted any more and the current formula is
E = p 2c 2 + m 2c^4?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
alba said:
This is not homework. I am trying to figure out a simple and quick way to find the speed that correspond to a given energy can you tell me if it is correct?
At LHC they had experiments that give protons 7 Tera eV:
we know that a proton is .938272 Gev , so 7*10^12/.938*10^9 = 7460 is the increase of masses.

Now if we reverse the formula for mass

Homework Equations

7460+1 = 1 / √1 -x^2

we get
(1-x^2) 7461^2 = 1
x2 = 74612/ 7461^2+1 x = 0.999999991

The result matches LHC info, is there any mistake?

looking at your estimates it appears that for large energies it may work.but its an approximation and yourx is nearly 1.
have you calculated for say energies 0,5 c etc,
if you are posing an alternative form pl. give in a formula form.relating energy and velocity

Likes alba
drvrm said:
looking at your estimates it appears that for large energies it may work.but its an approximation and yourx is nearly 1.
have you calculated for say energies 0,5 c etc,
if you are posing an alternative form pl. give in a formula form.relating energy and velocity
I applied the γ Lorenz formula. why doesn't it work at all energies?

Can you show me ho to find the KE (the energy we must supply) to en electron to reach 0.8c?
Or conversely the speed it reaches if we suply .511MeV of energy.
I read that thespeed is rougly 0.82 C can you tell me how to reach an accuracy of 5 digits, Please?

Thanks a lot

alba said:
I applied the γ Lorenz formula. why doesn't it work at all energies?

Can you show me ho to find the KE (the energy we must supply) to en electron to reach 0.8c?
Or conversely the speed it reaches if we suply .511MeV of energy.
I read that thespeed is rougly 0.82 C can you tell me how to reach an accuracy of 5 digits, Please?

there are various approx. relations for different energy range
a comparative discussion has been done in the following ;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy–momentum_relation or on other sites
actually for a good range classical forms also works approx.
but the form used by general people is thesquare of energy related to p^2c^2 and square of rest mass energy ;as it is applicable to photons as well -particles with zero rest mass.
regarding accuracy of calculation -it depends on the no. of significant figures one needs in the range of values.
i wonder what is the problem in calculating electrons speed /energy?

Likes alba
drvrm said:
there are various
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy–momentum_relation or on other sites
?
That link is no help, why are there various approx ? Isn't the formula valid for all speeds?
the canonical formula says at .866 C there are 2 masses (1/√1-.75 (=.25)), minus one it means that it takes one electron mass .511 MeV of Ke to reach .866 C.
The point is that the Bertozzi experiment found the actual speed = .82
I'd like to learn to calculate with a certain accuracy energies required from .6 to .9 C.
If you can't be bothered to show me how it is done, please give me some useful links.
Thanks a lot, your help s highly appreciated

Related to Finding the speed of a relativistic particle

1. What is a relativistic particle?

A relativistic particle is a particle that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light, which causes it to exhibit properties predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How do you find the speed of a relativistic particle?

The speed of a relativistic particle can be found using the formula v = c * (1 - (1 / (1 + (E/mc^2)^2)^0.5)), where v is the speed of the particle, c is the speed of light, E is the energy of the particle, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What is the importance of finding the speed of a relativistic particle?

Finding the speed of a relativistic particle is important in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at very high speeds. It is also crucial in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.

4. Can the speed of a relativistic particle exceed the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle can travel. Therefore, the speed of a relativistic particle cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How accurate is the formula for finding the speed of a relativistic particle?

The formula for finding the speed of a relativistic particle is highly accurate and has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments. However, it may not be accurate for particles with extremely high energies or in extreme conditions such as near a black hole.