Finding the Speed Needed to Propel Packages Up an Inclined Ramp

In summary: So if I had the initial velocity, I could just solve for the acceleration and then use F_t to get the final velocity.
robbondo

Homework Statement

You are working for a shipping company. Your job is to stand at the bottom of a 8.0-m-long ramp that is inclined at 37 degrees above the horizontal. You grab packages off a conveyor belt and propel them up the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the packages and the ramp is .30 What speed do you need to give a package at the bottom of the ramp so that it has zero speed at the top of the ramp?

Homework Equations

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first I drew a digram which gave me a component of [tex]nsin37[/tex] as the force acting down the ramp and then of course the nu force of friction. SO, then I wrote out that

as

[tex]\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a} = -mgsin37 - .30mg + F_t[/tex]

With [tex] F_t [/tex] being the force of the throw

Then I know that since I'm solving for the initial velocity that should be related to the acceleration and the force through

[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]

but I'm not sure how. I haven't been given the value for the mass, so I'm not sure if I can even solve this problem only using the given variables.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robbondo said:

Homework Statement

You are working for a shipping company. Your job is to stand at the bottom of a 8.0-m-long ramp that is inclined at 37 degrees above the horizontal. You grab packages off a conveyor belt and propel them up the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the packages and the ramp is u.

Ok, and where's the problem in the text? :wink:

oops... fixed it.

Am I missing something, just below where it is lopped off in the quote. was there an edit?

Rob, anyway its a bit like the last one, the masses all divide out.

Related to Finding the Speed Needed to Propel Packages Up an Inclined Ramp

1. What is the concept behind a box sliding up a ramp?

The concept behind a box sliding up a ramp is the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. As the box moves up the ramp, it gains potential energy due to its increased height, and this potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the box slides down the ramp.

2. How does the height of the ramp affect the speed of the box?

The higher the ramp, the more potential energy the box will gain as it moves up. This means that the box will have a higher speed as it slides down the ramp, due to the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. So, a higher ramp will result in a faster-moving box.

3. What factors affect the friction between the box and the ramp?

The factors that affect friction between the box and the ramp include the weight of the box, the surface of the ramp, and any external forces acting on the box. A heavier box will have a greater force pushing it down, increasing friction. A rougher surface on the ramp will also increase friction, while a smoother surface will decrease it. External forces, such as air resistance or additional weight on the box, can also affect friction.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the motion of the box?

The angle of the ramp affects the motion of the box by determining the amount of potential energy the box will gain as it moves up the ramp. The steeper the angle, the more potential energy the box will have, resulting in a faster-moving box. However, a higher angle also means a greater force of gravity acting on the box, which can increase friction and slow the box down.

5. Is the motion of the box on a ramp affected by air resistance?

Yes, the motion of the box on a ramp can be affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the box as it moves up the ramp. However, the effect of air resistance may be negligible depending on the weight and speed of the box, as well as the angle and length of the ramp.