Finding the Spectrum of a Function with Exponential and Trig Terms

In summary, the question posed is about finding the spectrum of a function with an exponential and trigonometric terms. The suggested solution involves expressing the exponential as a Taylor series and approximating it up to a certain value before integrating.
frenzal_dude

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to find the spectrum of the following function:
[tex]i=I_0[e^{\frac{-0.01(cos(2\pi 1000t)+cos(2\pi 100000t))}{0.026}}-1][/tex]

Homework Equations

the Fourier Transform would be:
[tex]\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }I_0[e^{\frac{-0.01(cos(2\pi 1000t)+cos(2\pi 100000t))}{0.026}}-1]e^{-j2\pi ft}dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start because I'm not sure how to take the integral of an exponential when there is a trig term in there. Is this integral even possible or would it diverge to infinity?

Hope you guys can help,
frenzal

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I worked it out! I need to express the exp(x) function as a taylor series, and as n gets larger (greater than say 3) the number approaches 0! So you can approximate it up to n=3 and then integration should be ok.

Related to Finding the Spectrum of a Function with Exponential and Trig Terms

1. What is the process for finding the spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms?

The process for finding the spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms involves first rewriting the function in terms of complex exponentials, then using the Euler's formula to convert the complex exponentials into sine and cosine terms. From there, the spectrum can be determined by identifying the frequencies and amplitudes of the sine and cosine terms.

2. How do exponential and trig terms affect the spectrum of a function?

Exponential and trig terms can greatly impact the spectrum of a function. The exponential term in a function represents the rate of change or growth, while the trig terms represent the periodicity or oscillation. The presence of these terms can lead to a wider range of frequencies and amplitudes in the spectrum.

3. Can a function have both exponential and trig terms in its spectrum?

Yes, a function can have both exponential and trig terms in its spectrum. In fact, many real-world functions have a combination of these terms, as they accurately model natural phenomena that involve both growth and periodicity.

4. Are there any shortcuts or techniques for finding the spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms?

There are a few techniques that can make finding the spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms easier. One is using the properties of logarithms to simplify the function before finding the spectrum. Another is using symmetry to reduce the number of terms in the spectrum. However, ultimately the process will still involve identifying the frequencies and amplitudes of the sine and cosine terms.

5. How can the spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms be used in practical applications?

The spectrum of a function with exponential and trig terms can be used in practical applications to analyze and predict the behavior of the function. For example, in signal processing, the spectrum can help determine the frequencies present in a signal and how they contribute to the overall behavior. In finance, the spectrum can be used to analyze the growth and periodicity of financial data. Overall, understanding the spectrum can provide valuable insights into the underlying patterns and trends in a function.