Finding the Right Normalization Constant for Gaussian Integrals

• Thread starter core1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Hence you cannot have exponential in the normalization.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gaussian integrals and the general formula for them. The questioner is seeking guidance on how to correctly solve a problem involving a wave function with a complex exponential. They consider using the substitution method and the cosine formula, but ultimately decide to use the normalization process to determine the appropriate value for A.
core1985
Member warned about posting without the homework template
Hello I have tried gaussian integrals does gaussian integrals have this general form formula? if not then weather i do integration by parts or what just needed a hint to solve it correctly

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_192259.jpg
    IMG_20161118_192259.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Core, :welcome:

The template is there for a reason, don't erase it but use it; it will be to your benefit.

What is the question ? and what is the relationship between your first line and the second ?

I want to say in the pic I have tried many things here should I show the steps I tried?? just want a hint that how to correctly start this nothing more weather I substitute or use gaussian integral formula for expomentional that is sqrt(pie/a) then do integration by parts??

My point is it seems you are trying to normalize the wave function $$\Psi(x,t) = A\, e^{-x^2/a^2} e^{-i\omega t} \sin kx $$ on the first line.
But the second line does not reflect that ( it says ##\ \sin (2kx) \ ## instead of ##\ \sin^2 (kx) \ ## ).

So :
BvU said:
What is the question ? and what is the relationship between your first line and the second ?

yes yes it is sin^2(kx) we can use 1-cos2(x)/2 formula here

but that nasty exponential how to handle that

it is liboff problem 3.15 I have found <p> that is zero but I stuck at A?

these steps I have tried now where is mistake??

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_201911.jpg
    IMG_20161118_201911.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 368
Now see here in this formula list there no formula for x^2 that's why I am stuck at this step needed a hint

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_202454.jpg
    IMG_20161118_202454.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 339
how to integrate E^x^2/a^2 sinkx

core1985 said:
yes yes it is sin^2(kx) we can use 1-cos2(x)/2 formula here
For the latter expression, if you mean ##\frac{1 - \cos^2(x)}2##, use parentheses around the terms in the numerator. What you wrote means ##1 - \frac{\cos(2x)}2##. In any case, ##\sin^2(kx) \ne \frac{1 - \cos(2x)}{2}##. You have to consider that k mulitplier.

thanks I am new to this website

Maybe you want to check out number 6 here ?

Otherwise there is CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, or Abramowitz (7.4.6)

so if I use number 6 then can I change limits to 0 to infinity multiplied by 2 then It can be applied ?

one thing more can I change sin(kx) into exponentionals and then try to solve will it work or not??

core1985 said:
so if I use number 6 then can I change limits to 0 to infinity multiplied by 2 then It can be applied ?
IF the function is even (##\ f(x) = f(-x)\ ##) then yes.
core1985 said:
one thing more can I change sin(kx) into exponentionals and then try to solve will it work or not??
You can give it a try... :rolleyes:

what do you suggest now changing sin to exponential using euler formula or use this

but cos(kx) is even ?? so I can use this to solve this nasty integral

ok I am solving it by both methods and will tell you what I got

core1985 said:
but cos(kx) is even ?? so I can use this to solve this nasty integral
Yes you can
core1985 said:
what do you suggest now changing sin to exponential using euler formula or use this
That would be the idea. But it doesn't look clean and quick to me, such a complex exponential...

After all, integrating ##\ e^{-x^2}\ ## alone already requires ingenious mathematical manipulating...

ok then I use cos formula but can normalization have ? e term? according to the formula number 6 means I can write exponential in normalization

The normalization process is to determine your ##A## such that ##\displaystyle \int \Psi(x,t)^* \Psi(x,t) \ = 1 ##. The result of the indefinite integral is basically just a number.

Related to Finding the Right Normalization Constant for Gaussian Integrals

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval or area. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to calculate the total value of a function.

When do I need a hint for solving an integral?

You may need a hint for solving an integral if you are stuck on a particular step or if the integral involves complex functions or techniques that you are not familiar with.

Where can I find hints for solving integrals?

You can find hints for solving integrals in online resources, textbooks, or by consulting with a math tutor or professor. You can also try breaking down the integral into smaller parts and solving each part individually.

How do hints help in solving integrals?

Hints can provide guidance and clarity on the steps needed to solve an integral. They can also offer alternative approaches or techniques to solving a difficult integral.

Are hints always necessary for solving integrals?

No, hints are not always necessary for solving integrals. Some integrals can be solved easily without the need for hints, especially if you are familiar with the techniques and methods involved.