Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude

In summary: So in summary, the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude A is either √3 A at 60 or √2 A at 90, depending on the original angles between the vectors. More information is needed to determine the exact angle between the two vectors.
gracy

Homework Statement

Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude A is
a) √3 A at 60
b) √2 A at 90
c) 2A at 120
d) A at 180

Homework Equations

When two vectors are of equal magnitudes then their resultant is
##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we need more information especially the angle between the given two vectors . Or we can eliminate options one by one. Answer is both a & b
I tried to cross check it . If the resultant is at 60 it means angle between the vectors we started with is 120 i.e θ =120
if we plug in the numbers
##A_R## = 2A Cos 120/2
= 2A cos 60
= 2A 1/2
= A
which is not equal to √3
Similarly for option b
##A_R## = 2A Cos 180/2
= 2A cos 90
= 2A 0
= 0
I 'll get it correct if I directly put θ=60 & 90 respectively . But as far as I know θ in this formula ##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2 is angle between the two vectors and not the vector and resultant

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
I think we need more information especially the angle between the given two vectors
Right. The question doesn't make sense.

I think you are right - that the angles shown in the problem statement are the original angles between the 2 vectors of magnitude A.

gracy said:

Homework Statement

Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude A is
a) √3 A at 60
b) √2 A at 90
c) 2A at 120
d) A at 180

Homework Equations

When two vectors are of equal magnitudes then their resultant is
##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we need more information especially the angle between the given two vectors . Or we can eliminate options one by one. Answer is both a & b
I tried to cross check it . If the resultant is at 60 it means angle between the vectors we started with is 120 i.e θ =120
if we plug in the numbers
##A_R## = 2A Cos 120/2
= 2A cos 60
= 2A 1/2
= A
which is not equal to √3
Similarly for option b
##A_R## = 2A Cos 180/2
= 2A cos 90
= 2A 0
= 0
I 'll get it correct if I directly put θ=60 & 90 respectively . But as far as I know θ in this formula ##A_R## = 2 A Cos θ/2 is angle between the two vectors and not the vector and resultant

I don't see the problem, it seems to me it's giving you the angles between the two vectors to check and what the resultant magnitude should be, so A and B are both correct as you say.

Likes Isaac0427 and BvU

Related to Resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude

What is the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude?

The resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude is the vector that represents the combined effect of the two original vectors. It is the vector that connects the initial point of the first vector to the terminal point of the second vector.

How do you calculate the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude?

To calculate the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the magnitude of each vector. Then, add the two squared magnitudes together. Finally, take the square root of the sum to find the magnitude of the resultant. The direction of the resultant can be found using trigonometric functions.

Can the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude ever be zero?

Yes, the resultant of two vectors of equal magnitude can be zero if the two vectors are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. In this case, the vectors cancel each other out and the resultant is zero.

What is the significance of the resultant in vector addition?

The resultant is significant in vector addition because it represents the net effect of multiple vectors acting on a system. It can help determine the overall direction and magnitude of the system's movement or force.

How is the resultant different from the individual vectors?

The resultant is different from the individual vectors in terms of magnitude and direction. While the individual vectors have specific magnitudes and directions, the resultant represents the combined effect of these vectors and may have a different magnitude and direction.