Finding the resultant force on the block

In summary, the person is asking for help with a homework question involving finding the resultant force on a block. They have tried using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem, but they are unsure if they are on the right track. Another person suggests using the parallelogram rule for vector addition.
ameliapond

Homework Statement

Hi all, I've been given a question for homework and I am not 100% sure how to do it exactly!
I have included a diagram or the situation

Homework Equations

The question is Find the resultant force on the block (picture attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was, split it into 2 right angled triangles and used trig to determine the resultant force. do i add the two together to get the resultant force?

Attachments

• resultant force.jpg
    resultant force.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
If adding vectors at right angles you can use pythagorous

c2 = a2 +b2

to work out the magnitude.

Try drawing the 20N vector as if it was attached to the other end of the 48N vector.

so the resultant is the line that would connect the two vectors?

ameliapond said:
so the resultant is the line that would connect the two vectors?
As you have drawn them, the tail of one is connected to the tail of the other.

To perform a vector addition:
you translate one of the vectors, (i.e., using a sliding transformation) so that the tip of one arrow connects to the tail of the other. Then you draw a third arrow from the tail of that combo to its tip, and this third arrow represents the vector sum of that pair. Use your knowledge of trig to find its length. (As a check: if you draw them accurately to scale and preserve angles, your calculated value should agree with your measured value.)

Related to Finding the resultant force on the block

What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force on an object is the single force that has the same effect as all the individual forces acting on the object combined.

How do you calculate the resultant force?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to first determine the individual forces acting on the object. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of all the forces, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force.

What is the significance of finding the resultant force on a block?

Finding the resultant force on a block allows us to understand the overall effect of all the forces acting on the block. This information is important in determining the motion and equilibrium of the block.

Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if all the forces acting on the object are balanced and cancel each other out. This means that the object is in a state of equilibrium and will not accelerate.

What factors can affect the resultant force on a block?

The factors that can affect the resultant force on a block include the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on the block, as well as the mass and acceleration of the block.