Determine the point of application of a resultant force

In summary: F_y - r_y F_x ##.One equation in two unknowns (do you understand why there is one degree of freedom left over ?).
SumDood_
Homework Statement
Given two Forces and their position vectors, find the resultant force and the point of application of the resultant Force.
Relevant Equations
moment = Force * distance
I am struggling with part b of the question attached in the screenshot. For part a, I simply add the components of the given forces.
I tried calculating the moments using vector cross multiplication, but I don't know what to do after that or even if that step is useful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-10 151217.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-10 151217.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
SumDood_ said:
but I don't know what to do
a. Did you make a sketch ?

SumDood_ said:
I tried calculating the moments
b. Please post your working -- and why you think this is useful

c. Post a typed problem statement, not a screenshot. See rules and guidelines

##\ ##

By the way, I agree with your ##{\bf F} = \left (2{\bf \hat\imath}+ 2{\bf \hat\jmath}\right )\ ## N.

Likes SumDood_
a. Did you make a sketch ?
b. Please post your working -- and why you think this is useful
I did make a sketch now and attached my working. I calculated the moments because that is the material I am taking at the moment in class. I realized that the question does not mention that the system is in equilibrium, which is what I have used in previous questions.

Attachments

• Working.jpeg
    Working.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 67
Okay! No beauty prizes, but that's not the intention anyway. So you found (I hope) the ##\bf F## total and you found ##\vec\tau_1 = -1\; {\bf \hat k} \ ## Nm and ##\vec\tau_2 = -33 \;{\bf \hat k} \ ## Nm. Useful, because the resultant force and torque must both be the same.

I assume you found ##{\bf F} = \left (2{\bf \hat\imath}+ 2{\bf \hat\jmath}\right )\ ##

So how did you (?) find that
1673353934207.png
?

SumDood_ said:
the question does not mention that the system is in equilibrium
There is no system in this case. It's just the addition of two forces: a mathematical exercise.

##\ ##

Ah, I see. You didn't find: the screen shot is from the solutions manual. :confused:
No wonder I agreed... :smile:

So at this point you have a total ##\vec F## and a total ##\vec \tau## and I think your question boils down to "how do I find an x- and a y-coordinate for "the point where the resultant acts".
Am I right ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Okay! No beauty prizes, but that's not the intention anyway. So you found (I hope) the ##\bf F## total and you found ##\vec\tau_1 = -1\; {\bf \hat k} \ ## Nm and ##\vec\tau_2 = -33 \;{\bf \hat k} \ ## Nm. Useful, because the resultant force and torque must both be the same.

I assume you found ##{\bf F} = \left (2{\bf \hat\imath}+ 2{\bf \hat\jmath}\right )\ ##

So how did you (?) find that
View attachment 320129 ?There is no system in this case. It's just the addition of two forces: a mathematical exercise.

##\ ##
Thank you for the explanation! These are practice questions and I have the solutions for them. Why are your moments negative? From my working, they should be positive. Can you please explain that? From what I have read online, the cross multiplication of two dimensions generates an output that is on the third dimension which you have specified in your working, but why is it negative?

I'm also struggling with this:
BvU said:
Useful, because the resultant force and torque must both be the same.
Why must they both be the same?

BvU said:
I think your question boils down to "how do I find an x- and a y-coordinate for "the point where the resultant acts".
Am I right ?

##\ ##
Yes!

SumDood_ said:
Why are your moments negative?
comes out as a result of
SumDood_ said:
vector cross multiplication
I learned ##\vec \tau = \vec r\times\vec F## and I learned $$\vec a\times \vec b=\begin{vmatrix}\hat\imath&\hat\jmath&\hat k\\
a_x&a_y&a_z\\b_x&b_y&b_z\end{vmatrix}$$

And (for me) the sketch is a confirmation of the negative sign of the results: both forces turn clockwise, i.e. negative sense.

SumDood_ said:
Why must they both be the same?
So that you have a single resulting force that does the same as the two forces combined

BvU said:
how do I find an x- and a y-coordinate for "the point where the resultant acts"
Vector sum of forces is ##{\bf F} = \left (2{\bf \hat\imath}+ 2{\bf \hat\jmath}\right )\ ##
Sum of torques is ##\vec\bf \tau = -34 \;{\bf \hat k} \ ##Nm.

From ##\vec \tau = \vec r\times\vec F## we get for a point ##\vec r## of action:##\tau_z = r_x F_y - r_y F_x ##.
One equation in two unknowns (do you understand why there is one degree of freedom left over ?).

so we can finish the exercise by picking any two terms from the boxes that satisfy this condition...

##\ ##

Likes SumDood_
BvU said:
comes out as a result of

I learned ##\vec \tau = \vec r\times\vec F## and I learned $$\vec a\times \vec b=\begin{vmatrix}\hat\imath&\hat\jmath&\hat k\\
a_x&a_y&a_z\\b_x&b_y&b_z\end{vmatrix}$$

And (for me) the sketch is a confirmation of the negative sign of the results: both forces turn clockwise, i.e. negative sense.So that you have a single resulting force that does the same as the two forces combinedVector sum of forces is ##{\bf F} = \left (2{\bf \hat\imath}+ 2{\bf \hat\jmath}\right )\ ##
Sum of torques is ##\vec\bf \tau = -34 \;{\bf \hat k} \ ##Nm.

From ##\vec \tau = \vec r\times\vec F## we get for a point ##\vec r## of action:##\tau_z = r_x F_y - r_y F_x ##.
One equation in two unknowns (do you understand why there is one degree of freedom left over ?).

so we can finish the exercise by picking any two terms from the boxes that satisfy this condition...

##\ ##
Understood, thank you for your help!

Likes BvU
In summary: a force does not have a point of action, but a line of action.

##\ ##

Likes Lnewqban and SumDood_

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that can replace a system of forces acting on an object, having the same effect as the original forces combined.

2. How do you determine the point of application of a resultant force?

The point of application of a resultant force can be determined by finding the center of mass of the object and calculating the vector sum of all the forces acting on it. The point of application will be at the intersection of this resultant force vector with the line of action of the force.

3. Can the point of application of a resultant force change?

Yes, the point of application of a resultant force can change if the magnitude or direction of the individual forces acting on an object change. It can also change if the object itself moves or rotates.

4. What factors can affect the point of application of a resultant force?

The point of application of a resultant force can be affected by the magnitude, direction, and position of the individual forces acting on an object. It can also be affected by the shape and mass distribution of the object.

5. Why is it important to determine the point of application of a resultant force?

Determining the point of application of a resultant force is important because it allows us to understand how an object will move or behave under the influence of multiple forces. It also helps us to accurately calculate the net force acting on an object and predict its motion.