Finding the rational expression of a repeating decimal

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a repeating decimal as a series and find the corresponding rational number. The method involves using the geometric series formula and a standard trick for converting repeating decimals. The final answer is 16,181/4,995.
OnceKnown

Homework Statement

Express the repeating decimal as a series, and find the rational number that it represents
1) 3.2[itex]\overline{394}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Geometric Series (a/1-r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting the value into a series by having n=1 as it goes to infinity
Ʃ3.2 + 394(0.0001)n
but I have a feeling that is wrong. Is there anyway to just isolate the 0.0394 as the repeating value?

I also tried using (3.2 + 394) as "a", and (0.0001) as "r"

putting this into the geometric series formula to find the rational number I got

((16/5) +394)/(1-0.0001) which came out to be 1986/0.9999

The Correct answer for the rational expression is 16,181/4,995

but I don't know how to get there. I have a feeling that I chose my "a" and "r" incorrectly

Physics news on Phys.org
OnceKnown said:

Homework Statement

Express the repeating decimal as a series, and find the rational number that it represents
1) 3.2[itex]\overline{394}[/itex]

Do you know the standard trick for converting repeating decimals? For example if I give you .123123123... where "123" is the repeating block, do you know an *EASY* way to immediately represent that repeating decimal as n/m? If yes, this is an application of that idea; if not ... well, there's a really EASY trick for this. Probably in your class notes somewhere.

(note -- of course if you don't know the trick, my post wasn't helpful ... but I can't think of a hint that only goes part of the way there.)

Hi OnceKnown! :smile:
OnceKnown said:
I also tried using (3.2 + 394) as "a", and (0.0001) as "r"

putting this into the geometric series formula to find the rational number …

No, just the 394 …

you can add the 3.2 later! :wink:

SteveL27 said:
Do you know the standard trick for converting repeating decimals? For example if I give you .123123123... where "123" is the repeating block, do you know an *EASY* way to immediately represent that repeating decimal as n/m? If yes, this is an application of that idea; if not ... well, there's a really EASY trick for this. Probably in your class notes somewhere.

(note -- of course if you don't know the trick, my post wasn't helpful ... but I can't think of a hint that only goes part of the way there.)

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't know about this "Easy trick" you're speaking of sorry lol. Thanks for the help though.

tiny-tim said:
Hi OnceKnown! :smile:

No, just the 394 …

you can add the 3.2 later! :wink:

Hi Tim,

so just the 394 as "a"

would represent 394/(1-0.0001), but that would bring me to 394/0.9999 still, which I'm still stuck.

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't know about this "Easy trick" you're speaking of sorry lol. Thanks for the help though.

It's pretty straightforward. The original number is x= 3.2394394394... so 10x= 32.394394..., the multiplication moving the decimal point one place. Multiplying by another [itex]10^3= 1000[/itex] moves the decimal point another three places: 10000x= 32394.394394394...

Now subtract: 10000x- 10x= 9990x= 32362. The "decimal part" cancels because of that repetition.

Thank you Halls,

This is different approach from what we are learning in calc class but it works.

OnceKnown said:
Thank you Halls,

This is different approach from what we are learning in calc class but it works.

Once you know that trick you can shortcut it by just putting the repeating block over the same number of 9's. So .123123123... = 123/999, etc.

Related to Finding the rational expression of a repeating decimal

1. How do you find the rational expression of a repeating decimal?

To find the rational expression of a repeating decimal, you first need to identify the repeating pattern. Then, you can create an equation where the repeating pattern is represented by a variable, and solve for that variable. This will give you the rational expression of the repeating decimal.

2. What is a repeating decimal?

A repeating decimal is a decimal number that has a pattern of digits that repeats infinitely.

3. Why is finding the rational expression of a repeating decimal important?

Finding the rational expression of a repeating decimal allows us to represent the number in a simpler form, making it easier to work with in mathematical equations. It also helps us to understand the relationship between rational and irrational numbers.

4. Can all repeating decimals be written as a rational expression?

Yes, all repeating decimals can be written as a rational expression. This is because any repeating decimal can be expressed as a fraction with a numerator and denominator that are integers.

5. What are some strategies for finding the rational expression of a repeating decimal?

One strategy is to look for a pattern in the repeating digits and use that pattern to create an equation. Another strategy is to convert the repeating decimal into a fraction and then simplify it to get the rational expression.