Finding the Ratio of Dimensions for Equal Hydrostatic Force on a Vertical Plate

In summary, the ratio of L/R is such that force on the rectangular part is the same as that on the circular part.
dhkdeoen
1. A vertical plate consists of rectangular and semicircular portion and has dimensions as shown. It is submerged in a liquid such that the upper edge coincides with the free surface of the liquid. What is the ratio of L/R such that force on the rectangular portion is the same as that on the circular portion?

UT7mHCE.jpg

Homework Equations

F=γhA

The Attempt at a Solution

For rectangular part, since height of it is L and width of it is 2R
A=2R*L
h=L/2
so force on retangular part is
Fr=γ*2RL*L/2=γRL2

for semi circular portion
h=L+4R/3∏
A=∏R2/2
∴Fsc=γ(L+4R/3∏)*∏R2/2

Since Fr=Fsc

2RL2=(L+4R/3∏)∏R2(γ canceled out)
L2=∏RL/2+2/3R2

now I'm stuck here. Am I doing this right? or did I misunderstand the problem?

English isn't my first language, so bear me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing just fine. Remember you want an answer for L/R, so if you call that x, all you have to do is rewrite the last equation to get something with x and a few numbers...

Looks good so far. How can you turn this into an equation only involving the ratio L/R? How do you solve a quadratic?

so..

er.. so I divide both side with R^2

(L/R)^2=pi*L/(2R)+2/3

since L/R=x

x^2=pi/2x+2/3
x^2-pi/2x-2/3=0

and this gives me two roots

x1=1/12(3pi-sqrt(96+9pi^2)=-0.3475...
x2=1/12(3pi+sqrt(96+9pi^2)=1.91832..

so I pick the one bigger than 0; which is x2.

so L/R should be 1.91832, right?

dhkdeoen said:
er.. so I divide both side with R^2

(L/R)^2=pi*L/(2R)+2/3

since L/R=x

x^2=pi/2x+2/3
x^2-pi/2x-2/3=0

and this gives me two roots

x1=1/12(3pi-sqrt(96+9pi^2)=-0.3475...
x2=1/12(3pi+sqrt(96+9pi^2)=1.91832..

so I pick the one bigger than 0; which is x2.

so L/R should be 1.91832, right?
Looks right, but I would tend to give the answer in surd form, not reduce it to a numerical approximation.

whoa.. it is hard to get back to old thread. Thanks!

Related to Finding the Ratio of Dimensions for Equal Hydrostatic Force on a Vertical Plate

What is a hydrostatic force problem?

A hydrostatic force problem is a type of engineering problem that involves calculating the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object or surface. It is typically analyzed using principles of fluid mechanics and can be used to design structures such as dams, ships, and pipelines.

What factors influence the hydrostatic force on an object?

The hydrostatic force on an object is influenced by the density of the fluid, the depth of the object in the fluid, and the surface area of the object that is in contact with the fluid. The direction of the force is always perpendicular to the surface of the object.

How is the hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where F is the hydrostatic force, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the object in the fluid, and A is the surface area of the object in contact with the fluid.

What is the significance of hydrostatic force in engineering?

Hydrostatic force is an important concept in engineering, as it is used to design and analyze structures that are exposed to fluid pressure, such as dams, ships, and submarines. Understanding hydrostatic force is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of these structures.

What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic force problems?

Hydrostatic force problems have many real-world applications, including designing and constructing dams, levees, and other flood control structures. They are also used in the design of ships and submarines, as well as in the oil and gas industry for the design of pipelines and offshore structures.