Finding the Range of an Integrated Function with Given Constraints

In summary, the function g(x) is defined as the integral of f(t), where f satisfies certain conditions on the intervals [0,1] and (1,2]. Using the given definite integral, the value of g(2) can be found to be in the interval [1/2, 3/2]. This means that g(2) also belongs to the interval [0,2), which is the correct answer.
WubbaLubba Dubdub

Homework Statement

Let ##g(x) = \int_0^xf(t) dt## where ##f## is such that ##\frac{1}{2} \leq f(t) \leq 1## for ##t \in [0,1]## and ##\frac{1}{2} \geq f(t) \geq 0## for ##t \in (1,2]##. Then ##g(2)## belongs to interval
A. ##[\frac{-3}{2}, \frac{1}{2}]##
B. ##[0, 2)##
C. ##(\frac{3}{2}, \frac{5}{2}]##
D. ##(2, 4)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got ##g'(x) = f(x)## and using this and the definite integral given, i have ##g(0) = 0##
I didn't really know where to go from here, so I tried making a graph (sort of) using the minimum and maximum slopes of the function in the given intervals and found an area in which, I think the function will exist, with the interval for ##g(2)## being ##[\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2}]##.
^CEEE41B8BDC6F80CABC7D6937AE5C0255667098491E38C8A1F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

This isn't present in the options...Can someone please point out my mistakes and help me get the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I mostly agree with your reasoning; generally the lower bound of an interval is given first, followed by the upper bound: ##[{1\over 2},{3\over 2}]## is your result. If it isn't in the list litterally, you might try to exclude the answers that certainly don't satisfy...

BvU said:
I mostly agree with your reasoning; generally the lower bound of an interval is given first, followed by the upper bound: ##[{1\over 2},{3\over 2}]## is your result. If it isn't in the list litterally, you might try to exclude the answers that certainly don't satisfy...
Ah silly me. Will edit it. I found the answer key too and it says B is correct. Is ##g(0) =0## correct?

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
Ah silly me. Will edit it.
better leave as is or the thread becomes unintellegible...:smile:

I found the answer key too and it says B is correct.
yes. If it belongs to [1/2, 3/2] it certainly belongs to [0,2). The others all miss something

Is ##g(0) =0## correct?
yes.

Likes WubbaLubba Dubdub
Now I get it! Thank you!

Related to Finding the Range of an Integrated Function with Given Constraints

1. What is the definition of Range of Integrated Function?

The Range of Integrated Function refers to the set of all possible output values that a function can produce when given different input values. It represents the vertical extent of the function graph.

2. How is the Range of Integrated Function different from the Domain?

The Domain of a function refers to the set of all possible input values that the function can take, while the Range of Integrated Function refers to the set of all possible output values. In other words, the Domain is the horizontal extent of the function graph, while the Range is the vertical extent.

3. Can the Range of Integrated Function be the same as the Domain?

Yes, it is possible for the Range of Integrated Function to be the same as the Domain. This occurs when all the input values result in the same output value. In this case, the function is said to have a constant value.

4. How is the Range of Integrated Function affected by the shape of the function graph?

The shape of the function graph can greatly impact the Range of Integrated Function. For example, if the function is a straight line, the Range will be a continuous range of values. However, if the function has a curve or has discontinuities, the Range may be limited or have gaps in its values.

5. Why is understanding the Range of Integrated Function important in mathematics?

Understanding the Range of Integrated Function is crucial in mathematics because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its output values. It also helps us identify any limitations or restrictions in the function, which can impact its applications in real-world scenarios.