Finding the point on the graph where the tangent is parallel

In summary, Homework Statement is trying to find the slope of x - 3y = 16. They rearranged the equation to a y = equation and got 16-x /-3 which they got a slope of -3. Then they tried to find the deriviative of y = sqrt 2x-1 which they get (x - 1/2)exp-1/2. They got a slope of 1/3 and then they need to use the chain rule to get rid of the negative exponent. They finally get to x = 5 and y = 3.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Find the point on the graph y = sqrt 2x-1 where the tangent line is parallel to x - 3y = 16

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I started off was was trying to find the slope of x - 3y = 16. I rearranged the equation to a y = equation and got 16-x /-3 which I got a slope of -3.

Then I went to find the deriviative of y = sqrt 2x-1 which I get (x - 1/2)exp-1/2

From there i get a little lost. The derivative = the slope of the tangent which would get me my x and y points, but my x values get a lot wonky. Would somebody be able to lead me in the right direction of finding my x point?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
meeklobraca said:
So what I started off was was trying to find the slope of x - 3y = 16. I rearranged the equation to a y = equation and got 16-x /-3 which I got a slope of -3.
!

Be careful with your negative signs!

[tex]y=16-\frac{x}{-3}=16+\frac{x}{3}[/tex]

so your slope is ___?:wink:

Then I went to find the deriviative of y = sqrt 2x-1 which I get (x - 1/2)exp-1/2

You should double check your derivative too!:wink:

OKay, with that then I get a slope of 1/3, I am still not clear on the derivative though? If its
(2x-1)exp 1/2, wouldn't that be (1/2)(2x-1)exp-1/2?

meeklobraca said:
OKay, with that then I get a slope of 1/3, I am still not clear on the derivative though? If its
(2x-1)exp 1/2, wouldn't that be (1/2)(2x-1)exp-1/2?

You need to use the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (2x-1)^{1/2}=\frac{1}{2}(2x-1)^{-1/2}\cdot\frac{d}{dx}(2x-1)[/tex]

Okay, this is what I've got from your equation.

1/2(2x-1)-1/2 x 2

(2x-1)-1/2

So with that then I have the deriviative equaling the slope of the tangent which I've figured to be 1/3.

How do I get rid of that negative exponent?

To answer my own question, I took the reciprocal of the 2x-1 line so I got

1/(2x-1) = 1/9 A little cross multiplication and I landed x = 5?

Throw that into the equation and we get a y value of 3, therefore the answer is (5,3)?

haha, sorry bud I am editting this as your trying to reply, it dawned on me in like 5 seconds, what did I do with the square root??

Last edited:
meeklobraca said:
To answer my own question, I took the reciprocal of the 2x-1 line so I got

1/(2x-1) = 1/9 A little cross multiplication and I landed x = 5?

Throw that into the equation and we get a y value of 3, therefore the answer is (5,3)?

Looks good to me :smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
Be careful with your negative signs!

[tex]y=16-\frac{x}{-3}=16+\frac{x}{3}[/tex]

How come you got 16 + x/3 and not 16-x/-3?

Wouldnt diving 16-x by -3 equal 16/-3 - x/-3?

He was assuming you meant what you said!

16- x/-3 means 16- (x/-3). If you mean (16- x)/-3 you should have used parentheses to make that clear.

So which is it that I go from?

If you have x - 3y = 16 how do you adjust that to make it a y = equation?

x-3y=16 -> x-16=3y -> (x-16)/3=y -> x/3-16/3=y. This shouldn't be the hardest part of the problem. gabba didn't check the derivation from the start.

If you wouldn't mind confirming for me, but I don't think that changes anything, my answer of (5,10) is still correct?

meeklobraca said:
If you wouldn't mind confirming for me, but I don't think that changes anything, my answer of (5,10) is still correct?

x=5 is good. But if y=sqrt(2x-1) what does that make y?

Yup, sorry I misread my answer, my answer was (5,3)

meeklobraca said:
Yup, sorry I misread my answer, my answer was (5,3)

That's fine.

Related to Finding the point on the graph where the tangent is parallel

1. What is the definition of a tangent line on a graph?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at a specific point, but does not intersect the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How can I determine where the tangent line is parallel to the curve on a graph?

To find the point on the graph where the tangent is parallel, you must first find the derivative of the curve at that point. Then, set the derivative equal to the slope of the line you want the tangent to be parallel to. Finally, solve for the value of x at that point.

3. Can there be more than one point on a graph where the tangent is parallel?

Yes, there can be more than one point on a graph where the tangent is parallel. This occurs when the slope of the tangent line and the slope of the line it is parallel to are equal at multiple points on the curve.

4. How does finding the point on the graph where the tangent is parallel relate to real-world applications?

In real-world applications, finding the point where the tangent is parallel is useful in determining the maximum or minimum points of a function. This can be used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost in a business scenario.

5. What is the significance of the point on the graph where the tangent is parallel?

The point where the tangent is parallel is significant because it represents the point where the instantaneous rate of change of the curve is equal to the slope of the line it is parallel to. This can provide important information about the behavior of the curve at that point and can be used to make predictions about the overall behavior of the curve.