Finding the Physics Code of Ethics

In summary, there is no universal code of ethics for Physics, but there are codes of ethics and conduct for members of professional physics organizations. In the US, the code for members of the American Physical Society can be found at the link provided.
Cod
Can someone please tell me where I may find a page with the 'Code of Ethics' for Physics? In my Humanities class, we are required to bring in a copy of the code of ethics for our major...and mine is Physics; however, I have looked in a few places online with no avail.

Any help, links, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cod said:
Can someone please tell me where I may find a page with the 'Code of Ethics' for Physics? In my Humanities class, we are required to bring in a copy of the code of ethics for our major...and mine is Physics; however, I have looked in a few places online with no avail.

Any help, links, etc. are greatly appreciated.

There is no such thing as a "universal" code of ethids for Physics. There is, however, code of ethics and conduct for members of various professional physics organizations throughout various parts of the world. In the US, the physicists professional society is the Americal Physical Society. The code of conduct for APS members can be found at:

http://www.aps.org/statements/02_2.cfm

Zz.

Exactly what I needed! Thanks a ton!

I searched the APS and AIP sites this morning for about 10-minutes each and never came across anything by searching. I figured they had to have a code somewhere though.

Thanks again.

Related to Finding the Physics Code of Ethics

What is the purpose of a code of ethics in physics?

A code of ethics in physics outlines the moral principles and values that should guide the behavior and decision-making of physicists. It serves to promote ethical conduct, integrity, and responsibility in the practice of physics.

Who is responsible for creating and enforcing the code of ethics in physics?

The code of ethics in physics is typically developed and enforced by professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society or the Institute of Physics, and academic institutions. Individual physicists are also expected to adhere to the code of ethics in their work.

What are some key principles included in the code of ethics in physics?

Some common principles found in the code of ethics in physics include honesty, objectivity, respect for human and animal subjects, responsible use of resources, and transparency in research and publication.

What happens if a physicist violates the code of ethics?

If a physicist is found to have violated the code of ethics, they may face consequences such as disciplinary action, loss of professional standing, and damage to their reputation. In some cases, legal action may also be taken.

How does the code of ethics in physics benefit society?

The code of ethics in physics helps to ensure that the practice of physics is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner, ultimately benefiting society by promoting trustworthy and reliable scientific research and innovation.