Finding the particular solution to the differential equation

In summary: If they do, then they are correct. Otherwise, you may need to double check your work. Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with comparing coefficients in a particular solution for a differential equation. The person posting the question has provided an attachment and asks for help in determining if their solution is correct. They also apologize for posting in the wrong forum and ask for the correct one to be mentioned. The conversation also touches on the issue of posting pictures of problems instead of typing them out.
mokee92

Homework Statement

Please see attachment

Homework Equations

Please see attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment. I am supposed to compare coefficients but it doesn't seem possible. what do I do next? (also, if i have posted this in the wrong forum...I apologize. please mention the right forum) Thanks

Attachments

• 20130306_203304_HDR.jpg
    20130306_203304_HDR.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
mokee92 said:

Homework Statement

Please see attachment

Homework Equations

Please see attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment. I am supposed to compare coefficients but it doesn't seem possible. what do I do next? (also, if i have posted this in the wrong forum...I apologize. please mention the right forum) Thanks

Your particular solution is too complicated. Try yp = A cos5x + B sin5x.

is my answer correct?

Mark44 said:
Your particular solution is too complicated. Try yp = A cos5x + B sin5x.

is my answer correct...?

Please see attachment

Attachments

• 20130306_212803.jpg
    20130306_212803.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 420
Why don't you check it for yourself? Just substitute your particular solution into the differential equation.

Also, the pictures you took are difficult to read. The lighting is poor and taking the picture at an angle to the paper makes the upper part of the paper difficult to read.

Mark44 said:
Also, the pictures you took are difficult to read. The lighting is poor and taking the picture at an angle to the paper makes the upper part of the paper difficult to read.

It seems to me we are seeing more and more of this. Pictures, sometimes one for the problem and one for the solution effort, links to pdf's etc. Anything but typing in the problem so we have an editable posting to work with. I wish PF would make a stronger effort to discourage that. Often I just skip over such posts.

I apologize

I can't seem to work with the editor so taking pictures seemed like a better option. Anyways, thanks for your help. I still don't know whether my A and B are right.

mokee92 said:
I can't seem to work with the editor so taking pictures seemed like a better option. Anyways, thanks for your help. I still don't know whether my A and B are right.

No problem mokee; my comments were directed to Mark44 who is a moderator. You didn't violate any rules. To check whether your A and B are right, plug your answers into the original equation and see if they work, as Mark suggested.

Related to Finding the particular solution to the differential equation

1. What is a particular solution to a differential equation?

A particular solution to a differential equation is a specific function that satisfies the given equation and its initial conditions. It is obtained by solving the differential equation and then plugging in the initial values to determine the specific function that satisfies the equation.

2. How is a particular solution different from a general solution to a differential equation?

A general solution to a differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfy the equation. It contains one or more arbitrary constants that can take on different values. On the other hand, a particular solution is a specific member of the general solution family that satisfies the equation and its initial conditions.

3. What are the methods for finding a particular solution to a differential equation?

The two main methods for finding a particular solution to a differential equation are the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. The method of undetermined coefficients is used for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients, while the method of variation of parameters is used for solving non-homogeneous differential equations.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one particular solution?

No, a differential equation can only have one particular solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. However, a general solution to a differential equation can have multiple particular solutions, as it contains arbitrary constants that can take on different values.

5. How is the particular solution to a differential equation verified?

The particular solution is verified by substituting it into the original differential equation to see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a valid particular solution. It is also important to check if the particular solution satisfies the given initial conditions, as this is necessary for a complete and accurate solution.