Finding the Operational Determinant for a Differential Equation

In summary, the problem is to find the operational determinant and solve an equation in differential equations. The given equations involve x, y, and t, which is different from the examples in the book. The steps to solve the problem involve putting all the variables on one side of the equations, factoring the differential operator, and then finding the operational determinant. To solve for a general solution, more steps will be needed.
jinksys

Homework Statement

This is a problem in differential equations.

Find the operational determinant and solve the equation.

x'= 4x + y + 2t

y' = -2x + y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a total loss. All the examples in the book have problems with the form:

(D - 4)x + 3y = 0
-6x + (D + 7)y = 0

Nothing like what I have, and certainly nothing with x,y, AND t. That t really throws me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
jinksys said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem in differential equations.

Find the operational determinant and solve the equation.

x'= 4x + y + 2t

y' = -2x + y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a total loss. All the examples in the book have problems with the form:

(D - 4)x + 3y = 0
-6x + (D + 7)y = 0

Nothing like what I have, and certainly nothing with x,y, AND t. That t really throws me off.
First when doing these problems put all the xs and ys on one side of the equations.
So first you'll have
x'-4x - y = 2t
2x + y' - y = 0

Now factor the differential operator "D" from the differentials. (I'm assuming x and y are functions of t)

(D-4)x + 3y = 2t
2x + (D-1)y = 0

This gives you a way to find the operational determinant. To solve for a general solution you'll have to work a little more.
Try the problem now..

Last edited:
Thanks, it's much more clear now. I'll give the problem another try later.

Related to Finding the Operational Determinant for a Differential Equation

1. What are operational determinants?

Operational determinants are factors that influence the planning and execution of military operations. These can include political considerations, available resources, enemy capabilities, and environmental conditions.

2. How do operational determinants impact military operations?

Operational determinants can greatly affect the success or failure of a military operation. They can impact the feasibility of a mission, the tactics and strategies used, and the outcome of the overall operation.

3. Who is responsible for considering operational determinants?

Military planners and commanders are responsible for taking into account operational determinants when developing and executing military operations. This requires a thorough understanding of the factors at play and how they may impact the mission.

4. Can operational determinants change during an operation?

Yes, operational determinants can change during the course of a military operation. This may require adjustments to the original plan and tactics in order to adapt to the new circumstances and ensure the success of the mission.

5. How can operational determinants be mitigated?

Operational determinants can be mitigated through thorough planning, effective communication, and contingency plans. By considering potential factors and anticipating changes, military operations can be better prepared to handle unexpected challenges.