Finding the Number of Simple Substitution Ciphers with No Fixed Points

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of simple substitution ciphers with no fixed points, also known as derangements. The problem involves finding a general formula for the number of mappings with n letters, and the conversation explores different approaches, including recursion and inclusion-exclusion arguments. Eventually, a closed form solution is mentioned, which is approximately equal to 26!/e.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Question: How many simple substitution ciphers are there where no point is fixed (ie: no letter is mapped to itself)?

EDIT: Incase the termonoligy is different, a simple substitution cipher is a mapping where the plaintext in english is encoded so that every letter is mapped to a different letter.

IE:
a maps to Z
b maps to S
c maps to K
etcetcetc

thus abc plaintext is mapped to ZSK.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I did a few examples to see if I could get some insight into the problem:
1 Letter = 0 mappings
2 Letters = 1 mapping
3 Letters = 2 mappings
4 Letters = 9 mappings
5 Letters = 44 mappings
I stopped here

While I found the reason for the complexity of determining this number I didn't come across any way to do it in general for 26 letters (for English). I know it has to be above (n-1)! and below n! for n letters but other then that I'm unsure.

I'm thinking I can just brute force it using algebraic notation, for example in the case of 4 letters I counted the mappings:
1 - 4cycle and with 4 letters there are 6 distinct combinations
2 - 2cycles and with 4 letters there are 3 distinct combinations

But, with 26 letters the number of different cycle combinations becomes cumbersome.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the way I would approach it: There are n! ways to permute n letters. But (n-1)! of them "fix" the first letter. Of the remaining, (n-2)! fix the second letter, of the remaining (n-3)! fix the third letter, etc. There are n!- ((n-1)!+ (n-2)!+ ...+ 2+ 1) permutations that do not fix any letter.

I'm not sure I follow, when you say (n-1)! is the number of ways to fix the first letter does this allow more then the first letter to be fixed?

ie: For 5 letters
1 maps to 1
2 maps to 2
3 maps to 3
4 maps to 4
5 maps to 5

Would be counted in your (n-1)!.

Now when you count the ways to fix the second letter I lose track of where you go. How did you count (n-2)! ways of fixing the second letter?

That's a FUN problem. Try this. Call s(n) the number of cyphers containing n elements with no element fixed. Can you figure out a recursion formula to calculate s(n) assuming you know s(k) for k<n? If you have an (n-1)-cypher with no fixed elements how many ways can you extend it to an n-cypher with no fixed elements by just changing one element of the (n-1)-cypher? If you think harder about it you'll realize that this isn't all of the n-cyphers. You could also take an (n-1)-cypher with a single element fixed and change to an n-cypher. How many n-1-cyphers are there with a single element fixed? I haven't figured out how to 'sum' the resulting recursion relation and get to n=26 without computing all of the lower ones, though.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I have my recursion formula.
S(n) = Number of maps with no fixed points and n letters
Define: S(0) = 1 so the recursion looks nice, or consider it the empty mapping
aCb = a choose b, ie: 26C2 = 325

S(n) = n! - ( nC1*S(n-1) + nC2*S(n-2) + nC3*S(n-3) + ... + nC(n-1)*S(1) + nCn*S(0) )

n! is the total mappings, nCi*(S-i) are the number of mappings with i fixed points.

So is the next step to work out all of these for n=26?

That's one way. Kind of a pain to do by hand. Easy if you've got a computer. If you think about the approach I outlined you can get an easier formula. S(n)=(n-1)*(S(n-1)+S(n-2)). That works nicely until the numbers start getting big. I turns out (I did some research) there is even a nonrecursive relation you can derive with inclusion-exclusion arguments. There's actually literature on this problem. A permutation with no fixed point is called a 'derangement'. Do they actually want you to calculate the number? It's got a lot of digits. Turns out it's very close to 26!/e, believe it or not.

I see your extension idea, I was a little confused but now I think I understand. There are n-1 ways to extend S(n-1) into the range of S(n) but this means that any cycle including the new letter cannot be a 2-cycle ie: you need to also include extensions from one fixed point with n-1 letters. There are (n-1)S(n-2) mappings that you must add giving you (n-1)(S(n-1)+S(n-2)). I agree I like your formula better :P.

You're pretty good at this. Did you try an internet search for 'derangement'? It's actually pretty interesting. I liked the bit on mathworld where you can show the count is the incomplete gamma function of (n-1,-1) divided by e. And there's an even simpler recursion. S(n)=n*S(n-1)+(-1)^n. I haven't checked all the details on all of this, but there's more than one way to skin this cat. Your first recursion was actually the first one I figured out. Thanks for the diversion!

I read the wikipedia and wolfram entries on it, I'm still working through the details on how they got their closed form (for n>=2) though I'm sidetracked as I want to keep up with the class I'm following independently in cryptography.

ie: Learning how to program some of the problems.

Related to Finding the Number of Simple Substitution Ciphers with No Fixed Points

What is a Simple Substitution Cipher?

A Simple Substitution Cipher is a type of encryption method in which each letter or character in a message is replaced with a different letter or character, according to a predetermined substitution key.

How does a Simple Substitution Cipher work?

A Simple Substitution Cipher works by using a substitution key to map each letter or character in a message to a different letter or character. For example, the letter "A" may be replaced with the letter "D" according to the substitution key.

What is the purpose of a Simple Substitution Cipher?

The purpose of a Simple Substitution Cipher is to provide a way to encrypt a message so that it cannot be read by someone who does not have the substitution key. This can be used for secure communication or to protect sensitive information.

What are the limitations of a Simple Substitution Cipher?

A Simple Substitution Cipher is vulnerable to cryptanalysis, which is the process of breaking a code without knowing the substitution key. It is also susceptible to frequency analysis, where the most commonly used letters in a language can be identified and used to decipher the message.

How can a Simple Substitution Cipher be made more secure?

To make a Simple Substitution Cipher more secure, a more complex substitution key can be used, such as using multiple keys or randomly scrambling the substitution key. Additionally, using a longer message or using a different encryption method in conjunction with the Simple Substitution Cipher can also increase security.