Finding the Multiplicity of Eigenvalues for a 2x2 Matrix with a Variable Element

In summary, for the matrix A = |4 k| |-7 -5| to have one real eigenvalue of multiplicity 2, the discriminant of the quadratic equation (lambda)^2 + (lambda) - 20 + 7k = 0 must be equal to 0. This means that 7k - 20 must equal 1/4. By solving for k, we can determine the value for which A will have one real eigenvalue of multiplicity 2.
snoggerT
For which value of k does the matrix

A=
|4 k|
|-7 -5|

have one real eigenvalue of multiplicity 2?

The Attempt at a Solution

- I tried by setting this problem up with det(A-(lambda)I) and trying to solve like that, but I can't seem to get it that way either. I am getting (lambda)^2+(lambda)-20+7k=0, but I don't know what to do from there. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what you have there is quadratic equation lambda .. do you know how to solve such an equation (hint; there is a formula ...:smile:)

This formula will give you (in general) two different solutions (which might be complex). However, when you've figured out the formula for the eigenvalues (depending on k) you can think about what k has to be, such that these two eigenvalues are actually the same.

So first you need to find the lambda's which fulfill your equation. And don't worry about k. It's just some constant number.

look at the discriminant

so the discriminant is negative, so that means there are no real roots and k would have to be something that would have the discriminant come out to 1, right? is it even possible to get the discriminant to equal 1 in this situation with b=1? am I not seeing what you all are pointing out?

The discriminant is b^2-4ac. You want it to be zero to get a double root.

in order to get zero you would need the discriminant to come out to 1-1, but I don't know how you would get the 4ac to be equal to 1 with this problem. If you ignore the 7k, the discriminant is 81, but in order for the discriminant to be zero, wouldn't -20+7k have to equal 1/4?

Yes. 7k-20 should equal 1/4. Why is that a problem?

I just made a simple mistake in my math. Thanks for the help.

Related to Finding the Multiplicity of Eigenvalues for a 2x2 Matrix with a Variable Element

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a number that represents the scaling factor of an eigenvector in a linear transformation. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to study the behavior of matrices and systems of linear equations.

2. How do you find eigenvalues?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation, which is det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This equation will give you a polynomial with λ as the variable. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. What is the importance of eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of a matrix or system of linear equations. They are used in various applications such as data analysis, image processing, and quantum mechanics. They also help in understanding the stability of a system and finding solutions to differential equations.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. The number of eigenvalues of a matrix is equal to its dimension. However, some matrices may have repeated eigenvalues, where the same eigenvalue appears multiple times.

5. What are the applications of eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of data and identify patterns. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of quantum systems. In engineering, they are used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and vibration analysis.