Finding the minimum pass point

In summary, a factory is hiring ##m## employees and a number ##n > m## of candidates applied to the job. They need to answer an exam consisting of questions all of equal weight. A candidate is selected to the next step (the interview) if he/she achieves a minimum of ##c## points in the exam, but as ##n > m## only those candidates with more points will be selected. If a candidate does not achieve the minimum required points, then he or she is selected for the interview.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

A factory is hiring ##m## employees. A number ##n > m## of candidates applied to the job. They need to answer an exam consisting of questions all of equal weight. A candidate is selected to the next step (the interview) if he/she achieves a minimum of ##c## points in the exam, but as ##n > m## only those candidates with more points will be selected.

What, on average, is the minimum of points a given candidate must achieve in the exam in order to go to the next step?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry if this is poor written. It was originally in my native language and I translated it to English, and I don't know much of English. (Using Google Translator gives a worse translation, believe...)

I tried to solve this problem by taking mean average. If there are ##n## candidates and the minimum to be considered as able is ##c##, then suppose each one of the ##n## achieves this miminum. This gives a total of ##c \cdot n## points. Now I divided this by the total number of candidates the factory is going to hire ##c \cdot n / m##. Is this the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
What, on average, is the minimum of points a given candidate must achieve in the exam in order to go to the next step?
It doesn't seem like there is enough information to answer the question. Is that the whole problem statement? What is the maximum number of points on the exam? Can you assume a Gaussian distribution for the exam results?

berkeman said:
It doesn't seem like there is enough information to answer the question. Is that the whole problem statement? What is the maximum number of points on the exam? Can you assume a Gaussian distribution for the exam results?
Yes, the problem gives permission to use any method to achieve the answer, and that should include Gaussian distribution. Also, it does give explicit numbers. The minimum of points to be selected to next phase is ##60## and the maximum of points one can achieve in the exam is ##100## points.

kent davidge said:
The minimum of points to be selected to next phase is 60
So then that is the answer to the question you asked in post #1?

It seems more like they would want you to assume a mean (call it 50) and a Gaussian distribution of the n applicants, and have you figure out what the score is that has m of them passing. But I guess I'm not understanding the problem statement very well...

berkeman said:
So then that is the answer to the question you asked in post #1?
Not really
berkeman said:
It seems more like they would want you to assume a mean (call it 50) and a Gaussian distribution of the n applicants, and have you figure out what the score is that has m of them passing. But I guess I'm not understanding the problem statement very well...
I know what it asks, but in my language, not in yours. I will try again:Because there are too much candidates, then some of them will not be selected to the next phase. The factory will select them for the interview from the one who has the max points down, until it reaches the ##m##. That is, the factory will pick the ##m## candidates who have the most quantity of points.

The problem then asks what is the average quantity of points a candidate needs to have so that he/she is within the ##m## candidates selected.

It seems to me that additional parameters need to be defined. What should also also come into play would be the mean μ and the standard deviation σ, both needed for the Gaussian. Then perhaps one can solve an equation (numerically) involving the erfc function.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Erfc.html

Likes berkeman

Related to Finding the minimum pass point

1. What is the minimum pass point?

The minimum pass point is the lowest score or threshold that must be met in order to successfully pass a test, exam, or evaluation.

2. How is the minimum pass point determined?

The minimum pass point is typically determined by the organization or institution administering the test or exam. It can be based on various factors such as difficulty level, desired level of proficiency, or historical data.

3. Is the minimum pass point the same for all tests?

No, the minimum pass point can vary depending on the specific test or exam. Different subjects or levels of difficulty may have different minimum pass points.

4. Can the minimum pass point change over time?

Yes, the minimum pass point may change over time depending on various factors such as changes in curriculum, updates to the test or exam, or changes in the desired level of proficiency.

5. What happens if I do not meet the minimum pass point?

If you do not meet the minimum pass point, you will not pass the test or exam. You may have the opportunity to retake the test or exam in order to meet the minimum pass point and pass the evaluation.