What is the minimum amount that the spring must be compressed

In summary, a 0.25 kg projectile is launched by a spring with k=1200 N/m across a frictionless surface. It then goes up a 25 degree incline and is sent through the air to clear a 1.2 m high wall 4.0 m away. The last 1.0 m of the incline has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. To determine the minimum amount the spring must be compressed for the projectile to clear the wall, the vertical velocity and height of the projectile after leaving the ramp must be calculated. Using these values, the energy conservation equation can be used to find that the spring needs to be compressed 0.14 meters.
chowwagon24

Homework Statement

A 0.25 kg projectile is launched across a frictionless surface by a spring of spring constant k=1200 N/m. The block is then redirected up a 25 degree incline and sent through the air with the intent of clearing a 1.2 m high wall that is 4.0 m away from the end of the incline. The last 1.0 m along the incline is not frictionless, and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. If the launch point (from end of incline) is 0.50 m above the horizontal surface, what is the minimum amount that the spring must be compressed for the projectile to clear the wall? (note: the velocity vector upon leaving the ramp will be parallel to the incline.

I'm not sure how to go about solving for the next step of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for the velocity needed to clear the wall from the end of the incline by using kinematic equations in the x and y direction. Just can't seem to grasp what heights to use and such. I am assuming once I can get the velocity needed from that point I can use energy conservation and account for the work done by friction. Starting from immediately after the mass has left the spring. Then from there I could possibly see what distance the spring must be compressed to give me that value. Is this correct at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since our goal is to clear the wall, we want to use the trajectory of the projectile which will have its highest point coinciding with the location of the wall. If the top of the ramp is 0.5m off the ground and the wall is 1.2m tall, how high must the projectile rise after leaving the ramp to clear the vertical length of the wall? Using this height, can you determine what the initial vertical velocity of the projectile must be at the point which it leaves the ramp?

I ended up getting around 3 something for the vertical component of velocity at the end of the incline and an overall velocity of 8.76. After using that for energy conservation from beginning to the end of the ramp I got that the spring needed to be compressed 0.14 meters. I just don't feel real comfortable with the answer for some reason.

Related to What is the minimum amount that the spring must be compressed

What is the minimum amount that the spring must be compressed?

The minimum amount that the spring must be compressed depends on several factors, including the material and size of the spring, the weight of the object being compressed, and the desired amount of force needed to compress the spring. In general, the minimum amount of compression needed is determined by the spring's natural length and its stiffness, also known as the spring constant.

How do you calculate the minimum amount of compression for a spring?

To calculate the minimum amount of compression for a spring, you can use the formula "F = kx", where F is the force needed to compress the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of compression. Rearranging the formula, x = F/k, you can determine the minimum amount of compression needed for a given force and spring constant.

What is the significance of the spring constant in determining the minimum amount of compression?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is directly related to the amount of force needed to compress the spring. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring and the more force needed to compress it. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a smaller minimum amount of compression needed.

Can the minimum amount of compression for a spring be too small?

Yes, the minimum amount of compression for a spring can be too small. If the spring is compressed too little, it may not be able to provide enough force to support the weight or load placed on it. This can lead to instability and potential damage to the object or spring itself. It is important to carefully calculate and consider the minimum amount of compression needed for a spring to ensure it functions properly.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when compressing a spring to its minimum amount?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when compressing a spring to its minimum amount. It is important to handle the spring carefully and wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, as the spring may release suddenly and cause injury. It is also important to make sure the object being compressed is securely held in place and cannot move or fall when the spring is released. Additionally, make sure to use appropriate tools and techniques when compressing the spring to avoid damaging it or causing it to fail.