Finding the Minimum Non-Zero Element of a Set

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum non-zero element in a set for a paper. The speaker suggests using a more concise notation and the other person agrees.
azal
Hi there,

As part of my paper I need to define the minimum non-zero element of some set.
In particular I have,
[itex]
\begin{equation}
\zeta(j):= \displaystyle \min_{\substack{ k\in1..\kappa\\
t\in 1..\kappa+1,~i \in \mathcal I^{t,j},\\
b_i^{t,j} \mod \theta_k \neq 0}} b_i^{t,j} \mod \theta_k.
\end{equation}
[/itex]
But this is not very nice.
Is there maybe a nicer and more concise way to do this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
you don't absolutely have to put everything in the 'minimum of' sign you could just state

ζ(j):=min b[itex]^{t,j}_{i}[/itex] modθ[itex]_{k}[/itex]

where k[itex]\in[/itex]{1,...,κ}, t[itex]\in[/itex]{1,...,κ+1},
i[itex]\in[/itex]I[itex]^{t,j}[/itex] and b[itex]^{t,j}_{i}[/itex] modθ[itex]_{k}[/itex][itex]\neq[/itex]0.

oh that's a good idea ... haha, don't know why i didn't think of that!

Related to Finding the Minimum Non-Zero Element of a Set

1. What is the minimum non-zero element of a set?

The minimum non-zero element of a set is the smallest value present in the set that is not equal to zero. This means that all other values in the set are either larger or equal to zero.

2. How do you find the minimum non-zero element of a set?

To find the minimum non-zero element of a set, you need to first identify all of the elements in the set. Then, you can compare each element to zero and eliminate any that are equal to zero. Finally, you can find the smallest remaining value, which will be the minimum non-zero element.

3. Can a set have more than one minimum non-zero element?

No, a set can only have one minimum non-zero element. This is because the definition of a minimum non-zero element is that it is the smallest value in the set that is not equal to zero. If there were two or more elements that met this criteria, they would all be considered the minimum non-zero element.

4. What is the difference between the minimum element and the minimum non-zero element of a set?

The minimum element of a set is the smallest value present in the set, including zero. The minimum non-zero element, on the other hand, is the smallest value that is not equal to zero. This means that the minimum non-zero element will always be larger than or equal to the minimum element.

5. Why is it important to find the minimum non-zero element of a set?

Finding the minimum non-zero element of a set can be useful in a variety of scenarios. For example, it can help with data analysis by providing insights into the distribution of values in a set. It can also be used in mathematical calculations, such as finding the median or calculating the range of a set.