Finding the Mass Combination for 1/2 g Acceleration in an Atwood Machine

In summary, if you want an acceleration of (1/2)g, the masses of the atwood machine must be equal in relative to each other.
blimkie
im stuck on the last question of this lab. "what combination or masses would make the accelration of an atwood machine equal to 1/2 g?"

a = g (m1 - m2/m1=m2)

so i have to find out what m1 and m2 are eual to in that forumula if g = 1/2

im thinking a is equal to 9.81 because the accelration on an atwood machine is caused by gravity

im stuck help would be nice:smile:

ive tryed rearangeing forumlas but i hvant got anywhere yet

Physics news on Phys.org
blimkie said:
im stuck on the last question of this lab. "what combination or masses would make the accelration of an atwood machine equal to 1/2 g?"

a = g (m1 - m2/m1=m2)

so i have to find out what m1 and m2 are eual to in that forumula if g = 1/2

im thinking a is equal to 9.81 because the accelration on an atwood machine is caused by gravity

I think you're a bit confused because near the surface of Earth g is always about 9.8. So you have the formula for acceleration which is correct and you want that to be equal to (1/2)*g so if you set those equal the "g"s on both sides will go away and you should be able to figure something out as to what ratio the masses must be in relative to each other in order to get an acceleration of (1/2)g

still hvaing hard time here if i plug in 1/2 for g and 1/2 for a i end up with m1-m2 = m1 + m2
nothing in clicking yet I am having a rough time here

blimkie said:
still hvaing hard time here if i plug in 1/2 for g and 1/2 for a i end up with m1-m2 = m1 + m2
nothing in clicking yet I am having a rough time here

g is a constant. What does that mean? You cannot plug a value in for g, near the surface of Earth g is always about 9.8. You want the acceleration to equal (1/2)g so plug that in for a, and then look at teh equation resulting.

Look at the sum of the forces on the masses of the atwood machine
[tex] T-m_{1}g=m_{1}a \hspace{0.5cm} -T+m_{2}g=m_{2} a [/tex]
Now add the two equations together, and you get an expression in terms of the coupled acceleration, gravity and masses. Now eliminate gravity, with desired acceleration
[tex] g =2 a [/tex]
and now we have an equation totally in terms of the masses, which allows us to solve . hope this helps, sincerely, x

meh ok i figured it out it was really simple actually and i was going about the problem wrong I am just tired haha

Related to Finding the Mass Combination for 1/2 g Acceleration in an Atwood Machine

What is a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab?

A Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab is a physics experiment commonly conducted in high school or college level physics classes. It involves a simple machine, known as an Atwood machine, which consists of two masses connected by a string running over a pulley. The purpose of the lab is to study the principles of motion, specifically acceleration, using the Atwood machine.

What materials are needed for a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab?

The materials needed for a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab include: two masses (usually equal in weight), a string, a pulley, a stopwatch or timer, a ruler or measuring tape, and a support stand. Optional materials may include a motion sensor and data collection software.

How do you set up and conduct a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab?

To set up and conduct a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab, follow these steps:

1. Attach the string to the pulley and hang it from a support stand.
  2. Attach one mass to one end of the string and the other mass to the other end.
  3. Make sure the string is straight and not twisted.
  4. Measure the distance between the pulley and the bottom of each mass.
  5. Release the masses at the same time and start the stopwatch.
  6. Record the time it takes for the masses to reach the ground.
  7. Repeat the experiment with different masses and/or distances.
  8. Use the collected data to calculate acceleration and compare to predicted values.

What are the possible sources of error in a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab?

Some possible sources of error in a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab include:

• Human error in timing the release of the masses or starting/stopping the stopwatch.
  • Friction in the pulley or string, which can affect the acceleration of the masses.
  • Inaccurate measurements of mass or distance.
  • Environmental factors such as air resistance.
  • Inconsistent or faulty equipment.

What are the applications of the principles studied in a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab?

The principles studied in a Gr 12 Atwood Machine Lab have many real-world applications. For example, the concept of acceleration can be applied to understanding the motion of objects in freefall, such as a falling object or a roller coaster. The Atwood machine itself is also used in various mechanical systems, such as elevators and cranes. Understanding these principles is crucial for many fields, including engineering, physics, and even sports science.