Proving volume of box using cross and dot product

In summary: The magnitude of the cross product of A with B gives the area of the base.The height of the shape is the component of C normal to that base.How can you combine these two pieces of information to find the volume?Shouldn't the cross product give you another vector perpendicular? So wouldn't the cross product give the height of C since it would be a vector straight upward? So it would give you all the magnitudes of A,B,and C. Then are you saying I have to put that all into one equation?No. (post #2): the cross product has nothing to do with C. It does indeed give a vector straight up. Makes some angle ##\gamma## with
PAstudent

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a box with parallel faces. Two of the faces are trapezoids and four of the faces are rectangles. The vectors A, B, and C lie along the edges as shown, and their magnitudes are the lengths of the edges. Define the necessary additional symbols and prove that the volume of the box is equal to AхB•C. Carefully drawn diagrams will enhance your presentation.

Volume of box.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the magnitude of the cross product is the area of a parallelogram. So the cross product of A and B would give the area of the rectangular faces. Then would the dot product give the volume because you already know the area of the rectangular faces?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You could work backwards a little: the magnitude of the cross product gives you ## |A| |B| ## so what do you need to get the volume ?
And where does ##\vec A \times \vec B ## point ?

So for the volume, I would need to find lCl. Wouldn't A x B point upwards and be perpendicular to A and B?

EDIT: the cross product gives the sin(theta) as well, would that have any importance?

PAstudent said:

I know that the magnitude of the cross product is the area of a parallelogram. So the cross product of A and B would give the area of the rectangular faces. Then would the dot product give the volume because you already know the area of the rectangular faces?[/B]

As you've mentioned, the magnitude of the cross product of A with B gives the area of the base.

The height of the shape is the component of C normal to that base.

How can you combine these two pieces of information to find the volume?

Shouldn't the cross product give you another vector perpendicular? So wouldn't the cross product give the height of C since it would be a vector straight upward? So it would give you all the magnitudes of A,B,and C. Then are you saying I have to put that all into one equation?

No. (post #2): the cross product has nothing to do with C. It does indeed give a vector straight up. Makes some angle ##\gamma## with ##\vec C##.
And what about the dot product of ##\vec C## and ##\vec A \times \vec B## ?

PAstudent said:

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a box with parallel faces. Two of the faces are trapezoids and four of the faces are rectangles. The vectors A, B, and C lie along the edges as shown, and their magnitudes are the lengths of the edges. Define the necessary additional symbols and prove that the volume of the box is equal to AхB•C. Carefully drawn diagrams will enhance your presentation.

View attachment 88405

Homework Equations

I don't see any trapezoids in this figure. If any pair of sides are trapezoids, then you need more information.

I do see a pair of parallelograms.

SammyS said:
I don't see any trapezoids in this figure. If any pair of sides are trapezoids, then you need more information.

I do see a pair of parallelograms.
Depending on your definition of trapezoid, a parallelogram could be considered a special case of a trapezoid.

Related to Proving volume of box using cross and dot product

1. How do cross and dot products relate to the volume of a box?

The cross and dot products are mathematical operations that can be used to calculate the volume of a box. The cross product, also known as the vector product, is used to find the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors, which can then be multiplied by the third vector to find the volume of the box. The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is used to find the projection of one vector onto another, and can also be used to find the volume of a box by multiplying the three vectors together.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a box using cross and dot products?

The formula for calculating the volume of a box using cross and dot products is: V = |a x b| * |c| where a, b, and c are the three vectors representing the length, width, and height of the box, and |a x b| is the magnitude of the cross product of a and b. This formula is derived from the fact that the volume of a parallelepiped (3D figure with six parallelogram faces) is equal to the area of the base times the height.

3. What are the steps for using cross and dot products to prove the volume of a box?

The steps for using cross and dot products to prove the volume of a box are as follows:

1. Find the cross product of two of the vectors representing the length and width of the box.
  2. Find the dot product of the cross product and the third vector representing the height of the box.
  3. Take the absolute value of this dot product to get the volume of the box.

4. Can cross and dot products be used to prove the volume of any 3D shape?

No, cross and dot products can only be used to prove the volume of a box or a parallelepiped. They cannot be used to prove the volume of any other 3D shape, such as a sphere or a cylinder.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using cross and dot products to prove the volume of a box?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using cross and dot products to prove the volume of a box. For example, in engineering and architecture, these calculations are often used to determine the volume of building materials needed for construction. They can also be used in physics to calculate the volume of a container or the amount of liquid or gas that can be contained within a given space.