Finding the Magnitude of a Horizontal Force

In summary, a 2.0 kg block on a 60 degree incline is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force. To find the magnitude of this force, resolve it into two components and use the equations Fcosθ and Fsinθ. Similarly, resolve the weight of the block and use the equation mgcosθ to find the magnitude of the normal force on the block.
GhostlyKiss

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block on an incline at a 60 degree angle is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force.
A) Determine the magnitude of this horizontal force (disregard friction)
B) Determine the magnitude of the normal force on the block.

I have no idea which equation to use. All the equations I can find don't give me enough information to start the problem. The only equations that I can find include friction and other things not present in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GhostlyKiss, welcome to PF.
Resolve the horizontal force into two components. One along the inclined plane ant the other perpendicular to the inclined plane. Similarly resolve the weight of the block. From these you can get the required results.

How do I resolve the horizontal force? Is Fn=mgcos[tex]\oslash[/tex] an equation I would use?

GhostlyKiss said:
How do I resolve the horizontal force? Is Fn=mgcos[tex]\oslash[/tex] an equation I would use?
One component of mg is mgcosθ. What is the other component of mg along the inclined plane? Similarly find Fcosθ and Fsinθ. Identify their directions.

Ok thank you :)

Related to Finding the Magnitude of a Horizontal Force

1. What is the definition of magnitude?

The magnitude of a horizontal force is the numerical value of the force, without any direction. It represents the strength of the force applied in a horizontal direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a horizontal force?

The magnitude of a horizontal force can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration in the horizontal direction.

3. What units are used to measure magnitude?

The units used to measure magnitude depend on the system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit of force is the Newton (N), while in the British system, the unit of force is the pound (lbf).

4. How is magnitude different from direction?

Magnitude and direction are two different properties of a force. Magnitude refers to the strength of the force, while direction refers to the line along which the force is acting. Both magnitude and direction are needed to fully describe a force.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of a horizontal force?

The magnitude of a horizontal force can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and any other external forces acting on the object. Friction can also affect the magnitude of a horizontal force by reducing its strength.