Finding the Magnitude and Direction of Magnetic Field of 2 parallel wi

In summary: I1=2.78A and I2=4.80A d=20cm, B=0.0002T, theta=90degrees. In summary, the problem is asking to find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a point midway between two long, parallel wires carrying currents of 2.78 A and 4.80 A, respectively. Using the equation F=BILsin(theta), with B=0.0002T (given in the figure), I1=2.78A, I2=4.80A, d=20cm, and theta=90 degrees, and plugging in the values, the attempted solution did not work. More information and detailed calculations are needed to
physicshelpnow

Homework Statement

Two long, parallel wires carry currents of I1 = 2.78 A and I2 = 4.80 A in the direction indicated in the figure below. (Choose the line running from wire 1 to wire 2 as the positive x-direction and the line running upward as the positive y-direction.)

a) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a point midway between the wires (d = 20.0 cm).

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point P, located d = 20.0 cm above the wire carrying the 4.80-A current.

Homework Equations

F=BILsin(theta) not sure if that is the one to even use

The Attempt at a Solution

tried plugging in the numbers in the above equation, but not working. Help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

physicshelpnow said:

Homework Statement

Two long, parallel wires carry currents of I1 = 2.78 A and I2 = 4.80 A in the direction indicated in the figure below. (Choose the line running from wire 1 to wire 2 as the positive x-direction and the line running upward as the positive y-direction.)

a) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a point midway between the wires (d = 20.0 cm).

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point P, located d = 20.0 cm above the wire carrying the 4.80-A current.

Homework Equations

F=BILsin(theta) not sure if that is the one to even use

The Attempt at a Solution

tried plugging in the numbers in the above equation, but not working. Help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the PF.

Can you scan or take a picture of the figure and upload it as an attachment? That would help us help you with this.

And when you upload it, please show your detailed calculations using that formula, so we can check your work.

Related to Finding the Magnitude and Direction of Magnetic Field of 2 parallel wi

1. How do I find the magnitude of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The magnitude of the magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field is given by the right hand rule. If the current is flowing in the same direction in both wires, the magnetic field will be in the same direction between them. If the current is flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction between the wires.

3. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field decreases.

4. Can the magnetic field between two parallel wires be zero?

Yes, the magnetic field between two parallel wires can be zero if the wires are positioned in such a way that the magnetic fields from each wire cancel each other out. This can occur when the wires are positioned at equal distances from a third wire carrying a current in the opposite direction.

5. How can I measure the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

You can measure the magnetic field between two parallel wires using a magnetic field sensor, such as a hall effect sensor or a fluxgate magnetometer. These sensors can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field and give you a numerical value for the measurement.