Electrostatics? Magnitude and direction of a magnetic field

In summary, the original question had a typo and should have said "electric field" instead of "magnetic field." The correct equation to use is the electric field equation (ε = F/q), and the answer can be found by solving for the electric field intensity vector.
Sandro Romualdez

Homework Statement

A force of 2.4N is exerted on a -1.8µC charge in a downward direction. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at this point?

(The assignment sheet is called "Electrostatics Questions", hence the "Electrostatics?" in the title)

Homework Equations

Electric Field Intensity Vector:[/B]
ε = F/q

Pertaining to Magnetic Fields:
F = qvBsinθ

B = µoI / Δl

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just wondering how I should tackle this question. The title of the assignment sheet is Electrostatics questions and at this point we had not yet studied magnetic fields. Does the electric field formula apply to this equation or how should I proceed with the question?

If the question can be solved with the electric field equations, I'll be able to solve it, as it is simple math. I just need help in understanding which equation to use here.

If the question should be solved with Magnetic Field equations, is the "magnitude and direction of the magnetic field" that the question asks for the value of B (Field strength)? The question also seems to be missing some values if trying to solve via the magnetic field equations?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear the question contains a "typo" and should say "electric field" instead of "magnetic field."

Likes Sandro Romualdez
Charles Link said:
It would appear the question contains a "typo" and should say "electric field" instead of "magnetic field."
Thanks for the answer, I'll ask my physics teacher tomorrow. This question has been bugging me for the whole day haha

Likes Charles Link
Could be a B field satisfying 2.4 = q(vxBz - vzBx)
v=velocity
where F = -2.4 j :smile:
But, for the record, I agree with post 2.

Likes Sandro Romualdez and Charles Link
rude man said:
Could be a B field satisfying 2.4 = q(vxBz - vzBx)
v=velocity
where F = -2.4 j :smile:
But, for the record, I agree with post 2.
Thanks for the reply, it did end up being a typo haha

Related to Electrostatics? Magnitude and direction of a magnetic field

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields associated with these charges.

2. What is the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point and is represented by the symbol B. It is measured in units of Teslas (T) or Gauss (G).

3. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force that a positively charged particle would experience if placed in the field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle.

4. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the source of the field, and the magnetic permeability of the material in the field.

5. How is the direction of a magnetic field represented?

The direction of a magnetic field is represented by a vector, with the direction of the vector pointing in the direction of the magnetic force on a positively charged particle. The length of the vector represents the strength of the magnetic field.