Finding the limit of an expression involving three types of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given expression without using L'Hospital's rule. Various substitutions were attempted, but the correct solution involved converting the expression to the form 1^infinity and using standard limit rules to solve it. The final solution was found to be 0.
Rasmus

Homework Statement

Find the limit (without using L'Hospital's rule)

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ln(1 + sin^2x)}{e^{2x} - 1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried various substitutions in order to rewrite the expression to a standard limit. Such as t = e^x, t = ln(x), t = sin(x) as well as using rewriting the trigonometric expression a few times. Since I suck I didn't get towards anything I recognized.

I'd be grateful for any help sucking slightly less :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you convert it to the form 1^infinity?

Pranav-Arora said:
Can you convert it to the form 1^infinity?
Not a clue :)

I did however get help with a solution elsewhere.

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ln(1 + sin^2x)}{e^{2x} - 1}[/tex]

First multiply by [tex]\frac{sin^2x}{sin^2x}[/tex]

Then [tex]\frac{ln(1 + sin^2x)}{sin^2x}[/tex] is on standard form and will approach one as x approaches zero.

[tex]\frac{sin^2x}{e^{2x}}[/tex]

is multiplied by [tex]\frac{x^2}{x^2}[/tex]

which gives the standard limit [tex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/tex] squared, which also approaches 1 as x approaches zero.

[tex]\frac{x^2}{e^{2x} - 1}[/tex]

Is multiplied by 2/2 which gives the remaining factors as standard limits.

[tex]\frac{2x}{e^{2x} - 1}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

Giving the final expression

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{ln(1 + sin^2x)}{sin^2x} \cdot \frac{sin^2x}{x^2} \cdot \frac{2x}{e^{2x} - 1} \cdot \frac{x}{2}[/tex]

Since the first three factors approaches 1, and the fourth approaches 0, as x approaches 0 the limit will be 0.

That's a good method. :smile:
What i meant was writing the given expression as
[tex]ln(1+\sin ^2x)^\frac{1}{e^{2x}-1}[/tex]
Now, its of the form 1^infinity in the logartihm.

Edit: Nevermind I misunderstood

I don't really understand how that expression evaluates though.

Here's my thinking:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^{2x} - 1} \cdot ln(1 + sin^2 x) = ln(1 + sin^2 x)^{\frac{1}{e^{2x} -1}}[/itex]

When x approaches 0

[itex]ln(1 + sin^2 0)^{\frac{1}{e^{0} - 1}} = ln(1 + 0)^{\frac{1}{0}} = ln(1)^{∞} = ln(1) = 0[/itex]

Correct?

Related to Finding the limit of an expression involving three types of functions

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or point. It is often denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer to a specific point.

2. How do I find the limit of an expression involving three types of functions?

To find the limit of an expression involving three types of functions (such as polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric), you need to first determine the type of function that dominates the expression. This is the function that will ultimately determine the behavior of the expression as its input approaches a certain value. Then, you can use algebraic techniques or graphing tools to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the importance of finding the limit of an expression in calculus?

Finding the limit of an expression allows us to analyze the behavior of a function near a certain point. This is important in calculus because it helps us understand the continuity and differentiability of a function, as well as the concept of instantaneous rate of change. It also allows us to solve more complex problems involving rates of change, optimization, and approximation.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the limit of an expression involving three types of functions?

Sure, let's say we have the expression f(x) = (2x+1)/(3x^2-4x+5). To find the limit as x approaches 2, we first determine that the polynomial term (3x^2-4x+5) dominates the expression. Then, we can simplify the expression by factoring out x from the numerator and denominator, and canceling out the common factor. This results in f(x) = (2+1/x)/(3x-4+5/x). As x approaches 2, the expression simplifies to f(x) = 1/7, so the limit is 1/7.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when finding the limit of an expression involving three types of functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the limit of an expression. For example, if the expression involves a rational function (a fraction with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator), we need to check for any potential vertical asymptotes at the point where the denominator equals 0. If there is a vertical asymptote, the limit does not exist. Additionally, when dealing with trigonometric functions, we need to consider the periodic nature of these functions and adjust our calculations accordingly.