Finding the Length of the Diagonal of a Rectangle

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the length of the diagonal of a rectangle that has been split in half by a diagonal line. The perimeter of the rectangle is given as 28 cm, and the perimeter of each triangle created is 24 cm. It is mentioned that the diagonal is 2 cm longer than the longer side of the rectangle. After trying trial and error, it is determined that the long side of the rectangle is 8 cm, making the diagonal 10 cm according to the Pythagorean theorem. However, the person is also trying to solve the problem using three equations and three unknowns, and they are unsure if their equations so far are correct.
Zygotic Embryo
A rectangle is split in half by a diagonal line creating two triangles
The perimeter of a rectangle is 28 cm.
The perimeter of each of the triangles is 24 cm.
The diagonal of the reactangle is 2cm longer then the longer side of the rectangle.
Find the length of the Diagonal.
Ive tried trial and error of numbers, and i think i get it correct.
Long sides of Rectangle= 8cm.
Short Sides of rectangle= 4cm
This gives a perimeter of 28.
If the Long side of rectangle is 8. then the diagonal would be 10cm.
it Follows the Pathagerom Thereom..
but how would i go about solving this using three equations, with three unkown's..

Physics news on Phys.org
Short side = 4cm ? Are you sure ?

You got the long side correctly.

As for solving it : call the sides x and y and then translate each of the statements in the question into equations.

Sorry I don't know how to do it. however I do know your answers don't work.
perimeter of triangle = Diagonal+8+4=24
Diagonal=12 (According to your solutions)
a^2 + b^2=c^2
8^2 + 4^2 must = 12^2 for your solutions to work

64 + 16 does not = 144

sorry

Do you have to use 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

edit: Golkul just helped you a lot more then I did

Excuse, me the short Sides= 6cm and the Diagonal = 10... and the long side of rectangle=8

Yes i have to make 3 equations with 3 unknowns

and solve.

so would this these to be correct so faR?

2x+2y=28
1x+1+y+1d=24

Related to Finding the Length of the Diagonal of a Rectangle

What is Geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and properties of objects in space.

Why is Geometry important?

Geometry is important because it helps us understand and describe the world around us. It is also used in many fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics.

What are the different types of Geometry?

The main types of Geometry are Euclidean Geometry, Analytic Geometry, Projective Geometry, Differential Geometry, and Non-Euclidean Geometry. Each type focuses on different aspects of shapes and space.

What are the basic principles of Geometry?

The basic principles of Geometry include points, lines, angles, planes, and shapes such as circles, triangles, and quadrilaterals. Other important principles include symmetry, congruence, and similarity.

How can I improve my understanding of Geometry?

To improve your understanding of Geometry, it is important to practice and solve problems regularly. You can also use visual aids such as diagrams and models to help you visualize and understand geometric concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or participating in group study sessions can also be beneficial.