How Do You Calculate the Area of a Rectangle with Given Perimeter and Diagonal?

• Thread starter LeadyKnight
  • Start date
In summary, a student on physicsforums is seeking help for an upcoming AMC test. They are specifically looking for assistance with the perimeter and area of a rectangle problem. The conversation includes a link to the test questions and various equations and explanations are provided to help solve the problem.
LeadyKnight
Hi all, I am new to physicsforums, so i just want to get to know yall. I am a sophomore and takin alg II, i have an AMC test coming up on February 9. and my teacher gave me a review packet. there are only 25 questions but they are like the hardest questions I've ever seen. So if there's someone has already taken the test, and can help me out with those questions, i would rly appreciate it. i don't need the answer, i just want to know how to solve the problems.

Homework Statement

The perimeter of a rectangle is 100 and its diagonal has length x. What is the area of this rectangle.

Homework Equations

i got l + w = 50 (from the perimeter of the rectangle)
and x2= l2 + w2 (find the diagonal of the right triangle)

i found this on the internet: 2lw= (l+w)2 - (l2+w2)
and got 2500 - x2 , then they divide it by 2 to get the area of the rectangle.

so basically they put : 2(Area) = (perimeter)2 - [this is what i don't get]
and why they square the perimeter?

2 rectangle = 4 triangle = 1 kite ? i don't think there's any connection w/ the kite : A = (1/2)d1*d2

P/s: english is not my language, so if u guys don't understand something just say sth and ill try to explain. sry

btw this is the link of all the questions: http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/practice1012p/html1012p/10pcontest/02c10p.html#10pc#3

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We are told that the perimeter is 100
This is [itex]2(l+w)=100[/itex] since there are 2 lengths and 2 widths in the rectangle.

So we divide by 2 and now have [itex]l+w=50[/itex]

We also have [itex]l^2+w^2=x^2[/itex] by pythagoras' theorem

and [itex]lw=A[/itex] for the Area

Now, the result you saw [itex]2lw=(l+w)^2-(l^2+w^2)[/itex] can easily be proven by expanding [itex](l+w)^2[/itex] and don't think about squaring the perimeter as a geometric thing (don't try picture what shape its creating) just square the number 50 since from before [itex]l+w=50[/itex] by squaring both sides [itex](l+w)^2=2500[/itex]

And the [itex]l^2+w^2[/itex] we already showed is equal to [itex]x^2[/itex].

So substitute everything into the equation:

[tex]2A=(50)^2-(x^2)[/tex]

[tex]A=1250-\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]

Really, all you needed to do in this problem was find out all the relationships you can to involve x (such as pythagoras' theorem, the area of a rectangle, and the perimeter) and then the tricky bit was to notice that the area [itex]lw[/itex] can be related to the perimeter [itex]l+w[/itex] in such a way that if we square the perimeter, expanding it gives us the other pythagorean relationship [itex]l^2+w^2[/itex] and the area [itex]lw[/itex]. Then if you found the correct formula, all you need to do is substitute all your relationships into it.

[itex](l+ w)^2= l^2+ 2lw+ w^2[/itex]. l+ w= 50 and [itex]l^2+ w^2= x^2[/itex] so (50)^2= x^2+ 2A That gives the same formula Mentallic gave.

thank you guys, it really does help me out.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Area of a Rectangle with Given Perimeter and Diagonal?

1. What is the AMC 10 P 2002?

The AMC 10 P 2002 is a math competition administered by the Mathematical Association of America for students in grades 10 and below. It consists of 25 multiple choice questions to be solved in 75 minutes.

2. How can I prepare for the AMC 10 P 2002?

To prepare for the AMC 10 P 2002, you can practice solving math problems from previous years' exams, review fundamental math concepts, and participate in practice competitions or study groups.

3. Can anyone participate in the AMC 10 P 2002?

Yes, anyone in grades 10 and below can participate in the AMC 10 P 2002 as long as they register for the competition through a school or registered organization.

4. What is the format of the AMC 10 P 2002?

The AMC 10 P 2002 consists of 25 multiple choice questions, with 5 answer choices for each question. The questions are divided into two sections, with the first 15 questions being easier and the last 10 questions being more challenging.

5. How is the AMC 10 P 2002 scored?

Each correct answer on the AMC 10 P 2002 is worth 6 points, each incorrect answer is worth 0 points, and each unanswered question is worth 1.5 points. The total score is out of 150 points.