Finding the Length of a Conducting Armature in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a conductor in a magnetic field and finding the length of the conducting armature with a given magnetic flux. The formula F=BIL was planned to be used, but the force is not given, so the formula cannot be transposed. The speaker asks for another method to solve the problem and requests for the question to be reproduced. The question involves designing an armature for a DC motor to produce a maximum torque of 7.5 x 10-3 Nm, with specific specifications for the solenoid, current flow, and other design elements. The speaker must present a solution and sketch that includes the length of the conducting armature, number of wire turns, diameter of the arm
Titan
I have a problem, to do with conductor in a magnetic field. The question says to find the length of the conducting armature with the magnetic flux.

I was planning on using the formula F= BIL. I have alright calculated the flux density and got the current, however the force is not given so I can't transpose the formula.

is there another method I can could uses?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you reproduce the question in its entirety? I'm not sure what the question you're trying to solve actually is.

genneth said:
Could you reproduce the question in its entirety? I'm not sure what the question you're trying to solve actually is.

the question is

DC motor requires to produce a maximum output torque of 7.5 x 10-3 Nm. The design must incorporate an armature (rotor) situated in a uniform magnetic field supplied by a solenoid. Solenoid produces a total magnetic flux of 3 x 10-5Wb acting perpendicularly across a rectangular field 30mm by 20mm. The gap between the two poles can be set between 25mm and 35mm without losing any total flux. The current flow in the armature coil can be between 0.6A and 1.2A.

Design an armature that will produce the required torque given the specification stated. I must present a solution and sketch of the design that clearly shows:

A) Length of the conducting armature within the magnetic flux
B) Number of turns of the wire on the armature
C) Diameter of the armatures
D) Gap between the poles
E) All calculations that support the final design solution

Related to Finding the Length of a Conducting Armature in a Magnetic Field

1. How do you determine the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field?

The length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field can be determined by measuring the distance between the two ends of the armature. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What is the purpose of finding the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field?

Finding the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field is important in determining the amount of force that will act on the armature when placed in a magnetic field. It is also necessary for calculating the induced voltage in the armature.

3. Can the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field can be changed by physically altering the length of the armature or by changing the strength of the magnetic field it is placed in.

4. What is the formula for calculating the force on a conducting armature in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the force on a conducting armature in a magnetic field is F = BIL, where F is the force (in newtons), B is the magnetic field strength (in teslas), I is the current flowing through the armature (in amperes), and L is the length of the armature (in meters).

5. How does the length of a conducting armature in a magnetic field affect the induced voltage?

The longer the conducting armature in a magnetic field, the higher the induced voltage will be. This is because a longer armature will experience a stronger force in a magnetic field, resulting in a higher voltage being induced.