Finding the Laplace Transform of a Function with Heaviside Terms

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laplace transform of a given function expressed in terms of the Heaviside function. The solution is not provided, but the person asking for help has attempted to solve it and is waiting for their attachment to be approved. They have also mentioned that they are unsure if their solution is correct and have asked for hints or the full solution. Someone else has pointed out an error in their attempt.
math_04

Homework Statement

the function is with the attachment

The question is

(i) Express f(t) in terms of the Heaviside function and hence or otherwise find L(f(t)), the Laplace transform of f(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything is in the attachment. Please have a look and I would really appreciate it if you could give me the whole solution. I got an answer but not sure if it is right.

Attachments

• Math018.pdf
    124.6 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
could you show us what you have done please?

You got to wait for the attachment to be approved. it takes a while...its a bit too long to write on the template plus i don't have the math symbols so it mite get a bit confusing

any hints or solution?

You restatement of f(t) in terms of the Heaviside function u(t-a) is incorrect. In particular there is supposed to be a u(t) term which does not appear anywhere in your solution.

Related to Finding the Laplace Transform of a Function with Heaviside Terms

What is the Heaviside question (Laplace)?

The Heaviside question, also known as the Laplace problem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given partial differential equation and boundary conditions.

Who was Oliver Heaviside?

Oliver Heaviside was a British mathematician and electrical engineer who made significant contributions to the field of electromagnetism. He is known for his work on Maxwell's equations and for introducing the concept of the Heaviside step function.

What is the Heaviside step function?

The Heaviside step function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that has a value of 0 for negative input and a value of 1 for positive input. It is frequently used in engineering and physics to model systems with discontinuities.

What is the connection between Laplace and Heaviside?

The connection between Laplace and Heaviside lies in their work on solving differential equations. Heaviside developed the Heaviside step function as a tool for solving Laplace's equation, which is a special case of the more general Laplace problem.

Why is the Heaviside question (Laplace) important?

The Heaviside question (Laplace) is important because it has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to model and solve problems involving electrical currents, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and more. The solutions to these problems have real-world implications and help to advance our understanding of the physical world.