Finding the Kernel of a Complex Multiplicative Function

• Thread starter aliciaislol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel
In summary, the kernel of the function f(x)=x^4 on the multiplicative group of nonzero complex numbers is the set of fourth roots of 1, or {x element of C^x : x^4 = 1}. This can also be expressed as {x element of C^x : e^(i8pi) = 1}.
aliciaislol

Homework Statement

Consider C^x, the multiplicative group of nonzero complex numbers, and let f:C^x --> C^x be defined by f(x)=x^4. Find ker f.

Homework Equations

C - complex numbers
e^i2xpi = cos theta + isin theta element oof C
R - reals
Z- integers
where R/Z
This is the equation we got in class:
ker f= {x element of R : f(x) =1} = {x element of R: e^(i2xpi)=1} = {x element of R: cos(2xpi) + isin(2xpi) =1} = Z

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the above info:
ker f= {x element of C^x : f(x) =1} = {x element of C^x : (e^(i2xpi))^4 =1} = {x element of C^x : e^(i8xpi) =1} = {x element of C^x: cos(8xpi) + isin(8xpi) =1}
Am I doing this right? Is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The kernel of f is, by definition, the set of all x such that f(x)= x^4= 1 (I started to write "= 0" but since this group is multiplicative, it is the multiplicative identity, of course.:blushing:). Looks to me like the kernel consists fo the fourth roots of 1.

Fourth roots not fourth powers. Your "8xpi" (the "x" there just means multiplication, right. It is not a variable. Better to use just "8pi".) seems to be going the wrong way.

Thank you, I figured out where it went wrong it was an nth root not power. Thnx again:smile:

Related to Finding the Kernel of a Complex Multiplicative Function

What is the kernel of a function?

The kernel of a function, also known as the null space, is the set of all inputs that produce an output of zero. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation f(x) = 0.

How do you find the kernel of a function?

To find the kernel of a function, you must solve the equation f(x) = 0. This can be done by setting the function equal to zero and solving for the input variables. The resulting solutions will be the elements of the kernel.

What is the significance of the kernel in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the kernel is important because it represents the subspace of a vector space that is mapped to the zero vector by a linear transformation. This allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior and properties of linear transformations.

How can the kernel of a function be used in practical applications?

The kernel of a function has various practical applications, such as in data compression, image and signal processing, and machine learning. It can also be used to find the null space of a matrix, which is useful in solving systems of linear equations.

Can the kernel of a function be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the kernel of a function to be empty. This would mean that there are no inputs that produce an output of zero, or in other words, there are no solutions to the equation f(x) = 0. This is often the case with one-to-one functions, where each input has a unique output.