Finding the Inverse of a Number in a Finite Field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integer between 1 and m-1 that is equal to b^(-1) mod m, given that m = 1 mod b. The solution involves finding the inverse of b mod m, which exists since b and m are coprime. However, the speaker is having difficulty manipulating the equations and suggests that the solution may involve using the fact that m = 1 mod b.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Suppose that m = 1 mod b. What integer between 1 and m-1 is equal to b^(-1) mod m?

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 1 mod b means that:

m = kb + 1 for some integer k

Let x be the inverse of b mod m, note: x exists since b and m must be coprime due to the previous statement.

xb = 1 mod m

thus: xb = gm + 1 for some integer g.

Now this is were I have little success. I can't seem to manipulate anything to my advantage and I'm unsure how to proceed.

I did find x = (m+1)/b but that is not always an integer. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you don't seem to have made use of the fact that m = 1 mod b...

I thought I used that fact when using the statement

m = kb + 1 for some integer k, unless I'm missing something else. Little tired, but I will come back to it tomorrow.

Related to Finding the Inverse of a Number in a Finite Field

What are units in finite fields?

Units in finite fields are elements that have a multiplicative inverse. This means that when multiplied by another element in the field, the result is equal to 1.

How do you find units in finite fields?

The number of units in a finite field is equal to the order of the field minus 1. To find the units, you can simply list all the elements in the field and check which ones have a multiplicative inverse.

What is the order of units in a finite field?

The order of units in a finite field is equal to the Euler totient function of the field. This function counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to the order of the field that are relatively prime to the order.

What is the significance of units in finite fields?

Units in finite fields play a crucial role in cryptography and coding theory. They are used in the construction of cryptographic algorithms and error-correcting codes.

What is the relationship between units in finite fields and prime numbers?

In a finite field of prime order, all non-zero elements are units. However, in a finite field of non-prime order, not all non-zero elements are units. The number of units in a finite field is related to the prime factorization of the field's order.